Search

DigiStore

• Public
Started by Regan Scarfe 02 Mar 2012 5:33pm () Replies (15)

Hi

Does anyone know an "easy" way to link to a specific DigiStore learning object from an LMS? It used to be easy to link to an object, the kids were prompted for a username and password and they were away. Now with learning pathways and multiple login methods it is more combersum and I want to simplfy it for my six year olds.

Thanks

Regan

Replies

• Shaun Wood (View all users posts) 02 Mar 2012 5:59pm ()

Each Learning Object has a PIN associated with it, if you are using the right link then your students should just have to enter a PIN. Have you checked out their wiki http://digistore.wikispaces.com/Home

• Barbara Reid (View all users posts) 02 Mar 2012 6:10pm ()

If you create a learning path, you can get a link that will allow students to go straight to DLO. See the digistore wiki as mentioned by Shaun. 

• Regan Scarfe (View all users posts) 02 Mar 2012 6:30pm ()

If I copy a link to an individual DLO, kids followling the link are presented with options to register, login using an Education Sector login, or login using a student login. Our school's pre-Edcuation Sector login doesn't work anymore in the student login page. It appears that direct linking won't work for kids' accessing DLOs.

I've just noticed that the URL displayed on the edit learning path page doesn't require users to login. This URL isn't shown on the View learning path page though. The solution might be to create a learning pathway for each DLO I want to use so that I can psuedo-link to a single DLO. After following the link to the learning pathway, the kids will then have to click through to DLO I actually want them use the DLO. This is still cumbersome way of linking to a specific DLO but better than where I was before.

Thanks for your replies, Barbara and Shaun.

• Suzie Vesper (View all users posts) 02 Mar 2012 7:46pm ()

Hi there - I'm one of the two Digi Advisors that maintain the wiki and help schools out with Digistore. When you have made a learning path and are editing that learning path, there is a link at the top of the page next to URL (not the link in the browser address bar) that you can use to send students to everything in that list. There is also a URL listed under each individual item within the learning path when in edit mode and that can be used to send students to a specific activity within the learning path rather than the entire list.  On the wiki, we have a page showing how to make learning paths:

http://digistore.wikispaces.com/Learning+Paths

We also run free professional development for anyone that wants more support with Digistore in the form of a virtual workshop. Get in touch via email at suzie.vesper@core-ed.org or by phone on 021567135 if you are interested.

• Regan Scarfe (View all users posts) 02 Mar 2012 8:11pm ()

Hi Suzie

Thanks for your reply.

When I paste the link in the URL box for the specific DLO in a learning path from the edit learning path page (which is under the DLO description but above the view details & view content links) into a new browser sessions, I am presented with the "Logging into Digistore has changed" screen which give the option to reigister, login with Education Sector or login with a student login. It does not take me directly to the DLO as I expect it should.

I probably shouldn't post the URL here, but I'll delete the learning path once I've resolved the issue. The URL to the learning pathway is http://digistore.tki.org.nz/ec/pin/NMOJPV?userid=8976 and the URL to the specific DLO in the pathway is http://digistore.tki.org.nz/ec/pinobject?objectId=L866&pin=NMOJPV&userid=8976. Give it a try in an incognito/private browsing window so that you're not already logged into Education Sector login system somehow. I'd be interested to see if you get different results.

Regan

• Suzie Vesper (View all users posts) 02 Mar 2012 8:27pm ()

Hi again Regan,

You are correct! That is a change that I had not picked up on until now so I am glad you have alerted me to this one. I will try chasing some information down for you and will get back to you in this forum.

• Regan Scarfe (View all users posts) 02 Mar 2012 8:29pm ()

Thanks. I look forward to hearing from you :)

• Suzie Vesper (View all users posts) 06 Mar 2012 3:09pm ()

I've talked to the programmers and they think it was a 'happy accident' that we were able to use that link to start with. They don't want teachers to basically by-pass the logging in process through using the links in learning paths (even though that is what learning paths can do!). They have pointed out to me that schools can write away by email to get a student login which you can give any student in the school to use. They would need to login to follow the links or you could have them logged in to the student PIN before they start.

• Aaron Frost (View all users posts) 06 Mar 2012 3:40pm ()

What a pain! There goes the easy access for children. 

The other way I have been doing it is to download the resource then put it in a folder on the server.  Then I create a short cut to the folder and put it on the desktop. This works well while the children are at school as they just need to click on the shortcut.

• Suzie Vesper (View all users posts) 06 Mar 2012 3:46pm ()

Hi again. Just to confirm that the learning path URLs will still work to jump students into a learning path without needing a login. This issue is just for individual objects in a learning path.

• Regan Scarfe (View all users posts) 07 Mar 2012 9:34pm ()

Hi Suzie

What is the reasoning for users being able to access learning paths without having to login but not individual learning objects? If the end result is that the kids will be able to access the learning object (via a learning path) without logging in, why do they need to jump through the hoop of going to learning path in the first place? My six-year olds don't need more hoops. They know how to access content from our LMS. Being able to link to a digital learning object in the same way that I can link to a YouTube video or BBC Byte Size learning object is going to make it easy for them to use and me to manage.

Regards
    Regan

• Suzie Vesper (View all users posts) 07 Mar 2012 10:26pm ()

Hi there - I brought that up with the programmers but they said that learning paths were introduced as a way to design a learning sequence in order to add value to the learning objects and that not needing to log in was not the main emphasis but just made the management of this easier.  They are going to discuss the individual URL issue at their next meeting as a result of my call but I dont' think it is likely that this will be changed unfortunately.

However, they did point out that there is a student login set up for every school that schools can write to Digistore to get the details for. If you login at the beginning of an internet session using the student pin, then the URL links for individual objects in a learning path do work. I just tested it out with the student login details I have for a school and, once I logged in, the link you posted earlier jumped me straight into the activity. If you log in every morning before the kids start on the computer, you will get the same effect as before.

• Regan Scarfe (View all users posts) 07 Mar 2012 10:48pm ()

Hi Suzie

Thanks for you reply.

Do the programmers realise that we can create a learning sequence within our LMS and this has the benefit of students working within a familiar environment that is richer than Digistore's learning paths? Being able to easily bring objects into our virtual classroom is a way of adding value in my mind. An irony that strikes me is that the learning objects have no value if they're not being used because they can't be accessed easily and flexibly :)

Regards
    Regan

• Suzie Vesper (View all users posts) 07 Mar 2012 11:15pm ()

I understand it is really frustrating but the content within Digistore has to be under a login because some of the content was only released for use by schools from the contributing organisations under the priviso that it was only available within a closed space. The learning paths have been a handy workaround. Still, I think that the student login option could be pretty doable as well. 

Join this group to contribute to discussions.