Search

MLE's and BYOD

• Public
Started by robin ohia 29 Feb 2012 4:01pm () Replies (6)

Hi all - I was wondering if people have any thoughts around the use of an MLE when considering implementing BYOD with 3G in a school/kura? Cheers Rob

Replies

• Nick Ford (View all users posts) 01 Mar 2012 10:34am ()

I agree with Gerard. Currently the cost is prohibitive and accordingly access is not equitable.

In 2006/07 I conducted a research project with Selena Chan exploring the use of mobile technologies and Moodle MLE with tertiary students undertaking study in the work place. Our findings were that while this was an effective way for students using smartphones & tablets to submit evidence of achievement and access learning resources and activities (located on Moodle MLE) that the cost of data up and downloading was prohibitive.

Our research report (S. Chan and N. Ford: "mLearning and the workplace learner: Integrating mlearning ePortfolios with Moodle") can be found at 

http://www.massey.ac.nz/massey/research/conferences/conference-mobile-learning-technologies-applications/molta-proceedings.cfm

• Nick Ford (View all users posts) 04 Mar 2012 11:20pm ()

Yes cost is not an issue when internal WiFi rather than the commercial 3G network is used but an implication worth thinking about in the context of internal wifi usage is impact upon bandwidth i.e. how this may effect the quality of access in a whole school context. An extreme example would be if all staff and student "BYODed" and accesed the network simultaneously. Would the infrastucture cope with the demand?

Join this group to contribute to discussions.