Search

To SNuP or not to SNuP?

• Public
Started by Karen Spencer 27 Feb 2012 7:53am () Replies (7)

Kia ora,

Just sharing a post from Tony Greer in the Mantar Cluster. Tony has had a discussion with his BOT chair and IT techie (also BOT member) around the SNUP deal:

"We are now eligible for SNuP. HOWEVER - part of our e-learning vision is to incorporate more mobile-learning, laptops etc so want strong wireless capability. We have a good server and sound cabling already, also wireless that's ok but not overly reliable and probably won't handle a lot more mobile devices when we get them. 

My question is - do we spend the money (20% contribution) on the SNUP, or do we invest in a top quality wireless set-up? We are due for the UFB roll out mid year sometime too. I would really
appreciate anyone's thoughts and input on this one."

What would you recommend?

Replies

• Gerard Macmanus (View all users posts) 27 Feb 2012 9:53am ()

I would suggest you get the audit done first on your existing server and cable setup and work from there. The extra outlets per room are great as we do not know what technologies might come out in the future that might make use of them. Also teh extra power points that are placed into rooms will come in handy for when you mobile learning classes run out of power on there device.

Also being able to place the wifi out of the way up high at a dedicated network point is also handy.

• Tim Kong (View all users posts) 27 Feb 2012 10:10am ()

Without knowing all the details I would spend money on the upgrade of your network and power infrastructure.

Any wireless, however slick, has to integrate with your cabling. If that's weak, then it doesn't matter how much wireless you have in place. Good cable, Gigabit switches - overspec so you can be ready for what comes down the line.

That will mean keeping on top of the SNUP guys - to see what they're actually installing. In the current nature of public service costcutting - I'd imagine there could be changes in what grade equipment is going into schools. That's not being cynical or conspiratial, just considerate.

As Gerard says, the extra power capacity in rooms will come in handy as well.

• Deidre Senior (View all users posts) 27 Feb 2012 10:50am ()

My belief is that being 'SNUPPed' will also allow you to have a 'base level' to work from in order to move ahead with your infrastructure in the future. 

• Nick Ford (View all users posts) 27 Feb 2012 12:20pm ()

You've got to have a good wired network in place to get the best out of a wireless network. Would you build a house on shakey foundations?

• Jane Armstrong Bos (View all users posts) 27 Feb 2012 5:57pm ()

Hi Tony - you might want to join the free webinar : When ultra-fast broadband comes to you, where to start? - with Douglas Harré on 22 Mar 2012 3:30-4:30pm.

• Jane Armstrong Bos (View all users posts) 03 May 2012 12:25pm ()

Recently there has been a very informative thread started by Stu MacGregor running on SNUP value for money in the MLE reference group. He asks about the flexibility of the upgrade with regard to ports in the classrooms. The responses provide a lot of useful content from schools who have been SNUPPed and what they did, and why they did it to get value for money.

There is useful overview information of the School Network Upgrade Project on the Enabing e-Learning site also.

Join this group to contribute to discussions.

e-Learning: Technologies

e-Learning: Technologies

Where we explore how different technologies can support learning.