Search

Using Blogger - ideas and advice

• Public
Started by Karen Spencer 24 Feb 2012 6:04pm () Replies (17)

Kia ora,

Just sharing a question that came through on the Wire from Annemarie Hyde - can you help:

"If you use Blogger for individual student blogs, can let me know how you manage the "safe content" aspect."

Can you help? Pop your answer in this thread, as well as any other questions you have about using Blogger with students.

Replies

• Allanah King (View all users posts) 26 Feb 2012 10:09pm ()

Definitely teach digital citizenship and ethics but also monitor what they are posting.

I would start with something from Andrew Churches.

http://edorigami.wikispaces.com/Digital+Citizen+AUA

With Blogger I would have an RSS feed to work that students post- if teachers aren't prepared to monitor what their students are doing then they shouldn't be doing it.

Does that sound harsh? 

Similarly a principal needs to have an RSS feed to the class blogs so that they know what is being posted in the name of the school.

• Allanah King (View all users posts) 27 Feb 2012 8:11pm ()

If they add the Blogger logo to their blog side bar they can log in with that.

I have been drilling my team about using RSS- it is a powerful tool for personal, sustainable learning too.

I will make them do on their visit to Nelson :-)

• Allanah King (View all users posts) 12 Mar 2012 12:32am ()

What I was trying to say was that that blogging and monitoring what children are writing goes hand in hand. It can all quickly turn to custard if children can write whatever they feel like publically on a blog- the mistakes they make can be very public and it is part of the teachers job to know what is being said. The teacher monitors classroom writing with a pen and should do so on line.

I was talking with a group of principals recently about keeping up with school blogs with an RSS feed- they said they were too busy. Too busy to support their teachers who were authentically writing and publishing their work under the banner of the school, too busy to encourage writers attempting to gain an audience, too busy to know what is being written publically with the school's name on it.

I have seen a couple of scarily public disasters where inexperienced bloggers with little support have made very public blunders which have been widely publicised and the principal would have been one of the last to find out!

Join this group to contribute to discussions.

e-Learning: Technologies

e-Learning: Technologies

Where we explore how different technologies can support learning.