Search

Digital Curriculum

• Public
Started by Isaac Day 10 Mar 2011 12:03pm () Replies (13)

What does this term mean to you? (100 words or less) Smile

Replies

• michaelbreingan (View all users posts) 29 Mar 2011 2:46pm ()

If we assume that a digital citizen is one who is able to fully function and participate in a modern communicative society then it might be natural to assume that a digital curriculum is the framework that helps create, build, and enhance that citizen's learning. The word "curriculum" is somewhat misleading in my view. It tends to suggest two things, neither of which are helpful. Firstly we live in an increasingly inquiry based world, learning is lead by interest and need, not something that necessarily requires the structure of a formalised curriculum. To many, "curriculum" is a reflection of what we once had, rather than where we are heading. 

• Andrew (View all users posts) 31 Mar 2011 1:16pm ()

Yes, I tend to agree with you Michael, in that the traditional curriculum tended to be set...as a course... for (all) others to follow along. Whereas there are many opportunities for individuals to follow their own learning path.

I'm sure this has philosophical / educational / managerial problems for us all to overcome as well as exciting learning conditions for us to experience.

• Emma Watts (View all users posts) 29 Mar 2011 10:11pm ()

I agree that the term ‘digital curriculum' could be misleading.  Rather than a digital curriculum students need regular ‘digital inquiry'.   Like the key competencies, digital citizenship is not ‘separate or stand-alone' but is ‘the key to learning in every learning area.'  It is integral to the key competencies, vision, values and principles of the NZ Curriculum.  If approached as digital inquiry the ‘curriculum' or ‘content' could be adaptable to an ever changing digital world.  As Stimulate2Educate state we need to ‘provide students with education that protects them today and helps them act with thought for their own futures, safeguarding their opportunities to find suitable employment along with protecting their reputations.'  Including protecting and respecting others.  So how do we ensure that every child, at every school explores digital citizenship through inquiry?

• Emma Watts (View all users posts) 29 Mar 2011 10:16pm ()

Digital citizenship is plain old citizenship - lets help our students make connections to the real world and the digital world.

• Paul Drummond (View all users posts) 30 Mar 2011 8:12am ()

" Digital enquiry' sounds a little dodgy so I prefer the word curriculum! The word suggests that there is a planned syIlabus or course of work. It opens therefore the argument that elearning is not just a tool but a growing body of knowledge and skills that have accompanying values....digital citizenship. 

• Isaac Day (View all users posts) 30 Mar 2011 8:24am ()

So our curriculum, digital or otherwise, should be centred around the values, characteristics or qualities we want for our learners?  This sounds brilliant, I wonder how the digital element can be reflected in the values/qualities we expect for our students.  Does anyone have good examples in their own schools to share (I am sure we all know where they are in the NZC!).

• Emma Watts (View all users posts) 30 Mar 2011 10:01pm ()

Digital Curriculum or Digital Inquiry? As Isaac states we definitely need to centre digital citizenship around values, characteristics or qualities.   Inquiry provides students with a voice.  We can scaffold students to use thinking strategies to; think, question, research, reflect, take action, and describe their own depth of understanding.  Inquiry allows students and teachers to analyse current events, beliefs and Web 2.0/3.0 tools.  At the end of the day calling it inquiry or curriculum is irrelevant - as long as we are promoting life long learning, community engagement and a focus on the future.  For me embedding inquiry here is key, no matter what we call it!  Furthermore lets promote assessment for learning - where students self assess themselves after inquiring about digital citizenship.  Lets give the students ownership and empowerment over their learning, community engagement and future, remembering that we are the 'guides on the side'.

• Andrew (View all users posts) 31 Mar 2011 1:20pm ()

Hey, I like the three aspects of learning that you promote in your post above Emma; and that these should be embedded into education, schools, teaching and learning.

• Isaac Day (View all users posts) 30 Mar 2011 8:23am ()

As an adult my 'curriculum' is directed by me, my interests and my needs.  As children, younger learners need to have their 'curriculum' scaffolded for them and given the skills to manage this for themselves into adulthood.  As with regular curriculum, a 'digital' curriculum should be centred around a vision for the learner, and his/her needs.  My vision for our learners is to grow as people and learners therefore the curriculum should reflect that... I would be deeply saddened if a 'digital' curriculum was taught and learned entirely in a digital or electronic world.  But would be happy if the qualities of inquiry were reflected in digital citizenship/curriculum.

Smile

• Emma Watts (View all users posts) 30 Mar 2011 10:14pm ()

At Tahunanui School we have started to focus on academic verses social commenting when using Web 2.0 tools.  Which is one aspect of digital citizenship.  Check out our sub-page on Tahunanui's Digital Citizenship.  Here I will add examples of academic commenting from our students as the year progresses.  It will be interesting to track our development.  It is also part of our action plan for this years ICT Strategic Plan.

• Isaac Day (View all users posts) 01 Apr 2011 8:10am ()

Nice work Emma - is this along the lines of the 'Intellectual Rigor' line that Tony went down with Nayland?  Did he look at this with you guys at Tahuna?  Smile

• Emma Watts (View all users posts) 05 Apr 2011 8:14pm ()

Thanks Isaac.  This digital citizenship work stems from the posts and comments made on our class blogs during 2010.  Students were enjoying using their class blogs to share their classroom work and to communicate with their friends.  Our e-learning team then identified from the students blogs the need to develop ‘deeper thinking’ when writing posts or making comments.  This was then incorporated into our  2011 ICT Strategic Plan and  is certainly is inline with Tony Ryan’s ‘intellectual rigor’.

In researching ‘what’ makes a good blog post or comment at the end of last year I discovered Langwitches’ Blog (a.k.a Silvia Tolisano, whose blog is worth following for some great e-learning ideas!) In one post Langwitches' discussed the stages of becoming a blogging classroom and educating your students in becoming good digital citizens when make posts and comments.  She also posted a blog post called 'blogging lesson plan' which discuss the difference between 'social commenting' and 'academic commenting'. The post also gives some tips on commenting etiquette. Her key message is 'CONTENT IS KEY'.   Our initial ideas into develop our students ‘intellectual rigor’ when using blogs has been inspired by Langwitch.  This year we will use these ideas and develop Tahunanui’s own e-learning digital curriculum including the strand of social and academic online networking in the classroom.

Other professional readings that have helped to develop our curriculum around blogging are Netsafe’s ‘Blogging and Web2.0 Considerations for Schools’ which discusses why schools use blogs, establishing an educational blog, monitoring and managing a school blog, privacy and copyright, platforms and tools, and discussion points for schools.  Netsafe also publish tips for blogging, blogging safely, and social network considerations for schools on their website.

To support classroom teachers in developing and implementing our 2011 ICT Strategic Plan the above information has been added to the teacher wikipage, student wikipage and parent wikipage to provide professional development/reading.  Our  teacher wikipages for cyber safety and blogging have been in development from the beginning of our ICT contract and updated as new information or ideas have arisen.

Join this group to contribute to discussions.