Search

Digital Citizenship

• Public
Started by Isaac Day 10 Mar 2011 12:02pm () Replies (21)

So, what makes for a successful digital citizen?  Is it so different from just plain old 'citizenship'?  What are the differences? Are they one and the same... do the principles change? Add your thoughts to this post...

Replies

• Isaac Day (View all users posts) 16 Mar 2011 4:02am ()

Good post Anna.  I am interested in any further thoughts you may have about the 'private' World.  How do we deal with privacy in the 'real World' context as opposed to the virtual or digital Worlds... and what lessons can we take from this when developing our own model for digital citizenship?  Is the key difference a percieved sense of freedom and anonymity?  No one can see me... so I can do what i like?  How do we build these understandings?

Laughing

• Isaac Day (View all users posts) 16 Mar 2011 4:29am ()

Succint post Emma and this builds on nicely from what Anna was saying. 

Let's pick up the debate a bit... from your post let's tease out the thoughts around intellectual copyright and how the internet as we know it now is based around 'freedom of speech'.  I don't know about you, but it almost seems that anything posted on line is fair game... the lawsuits against file sharing and peer to peer networks from the early to mid 2000s is a prime example.  People abused the connectivity of the internet and used it to share things for free that would normally have cost a fair amount (even you tube is riddled with copyrighted material placed on there by people who don't own the copyright).  The internet users responded to this by developing freeware and sharing sites for non-copyright materials, but it hasn't stopped those who firmly believe we should share.  Their morals dictate that if we have it, we should share it with others (I grant you, that this is the equivalent of the 'moral low ground' to me), while some are very protective around their creations or ideas and call the 'sharers' (and in the case of you tube, the watchers), 'theives'.

This is a facinating debate really, throughout history people have 'stolen' ideas or had designs on the ideas of others (including killing those who came up with the ideas so that the killer could claim these ideas themselves and take the credit and financial gain - history is riddled with such stories)... as well as those who have 'borrowed' ideas from people and built on them to make them better... mostly with no death involved! Smile

I agree with what is on the wikispace you have identified, but I wonder aloud if we are not heading into a world of massive virtual collaboration where copyright rules become redundant, and the real money is made not in the creativity of the product or idea, but the advertising revenue that can be made by releasing that product for free in the market (along with you giving up your private information, browsing history and anything else you think is private and owned by you!) Smile

I am not being fecitious, just look at facebook... you lose the intellectual rights to your ideas and uploads (e.g. photos) to facebook as soon as they are placed on there (Facebook can do what it likes with those - plus it sells on your private information!)... and lets not get started on Google...

Wink

Your thoughts?

• Isaac Day (View all users posts) 16 Mar 2011 12:37pm ()

Yes, I agree Kellie.  Our morals/ethics will dictate how we conduct ourselves digitally.  I also recall what Tony said about people selling virtual items on sites like Second Life... I cannot believe that people purchase things that they will never hold physically, but wear in a virtual world... This staggers me - What do you guys think?

• Isaac Day (View all users posts) 18 Mar 2011 5:39pm ()

Yes, clearly the moral end ethical behaviour is key here... but it seems that the behaviour is epidemic and maybe this will force monumental change to the way the internet does business... like I say, Facebook is setting an example here.  I agree with you that 'it is important to respect and protect the creative effort and livelihoods invested in copyrighted works'... I am only suggesting that one day, there may be changes to how copyright works are reproduced (e.g. movies, music etc.).  Apple have kicked it off with DRM protected music (but you can still have an itunes song on up to 5 devices!!! which breaches NZ copyright laws!!??  With an iPod, Laptop, Desktop and iPad in our house here in NZ - I am in serious breach of this myself Surprised)... it will be interesting to see where this goes in the future because the InterWeb is changing our behaviour - thanks to the itunes store, I have not visited a record shop in nearly 4 years!  Do you remember HMV? Laughing

Incidentally, I agree with you - but we do need to debate this and consider how we change people who don't see illegal downloading, ripping or burning as criminal behaviour!  With the percieved anonymity (can't believe people still believe that they don't leave a footprint in cyberspace) of the internet - people seem to think they can get away with it!  We need to teach kids that you are not anonymous on the internet, and someone can see what you are up to... and that one day the law will catch up! Smile

• Isaac Day (View all users posts) 23 Mar 2011 11:33am ()

So what is the future for citizenship?  How will changes we see now influence how we should prepare our kids?

e.g.

Interactive Gaming

'Second life' - type environments

The way we purchase/use copyright protected material

... Thoughts, ideas, observations, opinions? Smile

• Isaac Day (View all users posts) 25 Mar 2011 8:18am ()

This link is interesting, but the author is critical of the source...

Did Piracy stop when Limewire was shut down

• Isaac Day (View all users posts) 25 Mar 2011 8:20am ()

Interesting point Dave, just look at some of the bloggers out there who take the 'freedom of speech' principle to the most ridiculous ends... there are some bloggers out there who deloberately flout the law using freedom of speech as their excuse.

Join this group to contribute to discussions.