Search

Digital Citizenship

• Public
Started by Isaac Day 10 Mar 2011 12:02pm () Replies (21)

So, what makes for a successful digital citizen?  Is it so different from just plain old 'citizenship'?  What are the differences? Are they one and the same... do the principles change? Add your thoughts to this post...

Replies

• Isaac Day (View all users posts) 25 Mar 2011 8:20am ()

Interesting point Dave, just look at some of the bloggers out there who take the 'freedom of speech' principle to the most ridiculous ends... there are some bloggers out there who deloberately flout the law using freedom of speech as their excuse.

• Isaac Day (View all users posts) 25 Mar 2011 8:18am ()

This link is interesting, but the author is critical of the source...

Did Piracy stop when Limewire was shut down

• DaveP (View all users posts) 24 Mar 2011 8:04pm ()

This seems to be a discussion about 'applied ethics'....so basically trying to apply a kind of moral 'norm' or agreed upon common code of conduct in order to fix/resolve some kind of practical problem.  I agree with the general opinion shared here that there are simple values tied up with respect and responsibility that should be applied to all our conduct no matter what format this is in.  Of course it gets tricky when we have to decide who is judging or measuring this and deciding if it is right or wrong.  I know people who think that almost anything voluntarily shared on the net shares an 'implied right to copy'.  Do people have a right to post controversial opinions?  Who decides if actions are controversial or hurtful, just or unjust?  Philosphers have been hitting this ball around for many years.  Dave.

• Andrew (View all users posts) 24 Mar 2011 12:27pm ()

Future for citizenship? Gaming.

If a person chooses to enter a game in a digital or online environment, they should expect the consequences to match the game. A car race game, you win or lose. A war game you "die".  If you don't like a game you have the choice to leave it, in the same way you would leave a bar/movie/concert/campground/riot/battlefield/country that you didn't like. Of course you will waste a lot of time and possibly become addicted to the game in the same way that alcohol, power, nictotine, adrenaline ... addict us all within the real world. 

If we let people know this then they will be forewarned at least.

That must be what education is and why it was created in the first place?????

• Andrew (View all users posts) 24 Mar 2011 12:05pm ()

We also need to think about the ethical continuum that people exist on.

There are people who apparently have no moral or ethical thoughts.

Machiavelli's ideas about "the ends justify the means" have been used for all sorts of nefarious projects.

Some people will think about the ethics of making certain choices and some people will make choices without ever considering ethical or moral decisions.

A person could outwardly agree to act within the rules of a given society/country/council/governmant/school/workplace/family, but at the same time be planning to abuse those same rules. They may even give no thought to acting in a "negative way" because to them, their decision is not negative.

This puts us in the position of creating rules for people to live by that those same people may not believe in.

Once, a group could banish/censure/kill/ostracise a person from their group but this is very difficult/impossible to do with the digital/internet/web/mobile scene.

Then, once it is defined and governed and legislated for, it must be policed.

I don't think chaos should reign, just thinking of how it appears to be from my perspective.

• Andrew (View all users posts) 24 Mar 2011 11:41am ()

I agree with Anna, Kellie and others in believing in their being no difference between traditional citizenship and digital citizenship. History is littered with people who did ethically "bad" things in private before the advent of the digital age. it is no surprise that people continue to do the same with a new digital opportunity in a new digital envirtonment.

We do need to continue educating children (and adults) about citizenship wherever we come across issues that need addressing, whether that is in a digital context or in a traditional setting.

• Isaac Day (View all users posts) 23 Mar 2011 11:33am ()

So what is the future for citizenship?  How will changes we see now influence how we should prepare our kids?

e.g.

Interactive Gaming

'Second life' - type environments

The way we purchase/use copyright protected material

... Thoughts, ideas, observations, opinions? Smile

• Tessa Gray (View all users posts) 21 Mar 2011 3:45pm ()

Wow, there is some rigorous debate in here and makes me want to jump in at 100 different angles. Great food for thought, especially as clusters have been asked to, "… use e-learning to give effect to the New Zealand Curriculum / Te Marautanga o Aotearoa by increasing the capability of: students to become successful digital citizen."

Like Derek Wenmoth says, Digital citizenship is more about what we do online when no-one else is around. This means how we act and behave when communicating with others - what we share, how much we share, who’s stuff we share. It also includes the appropriate use of the Internet and cybersafety.

Being aware of creating a life-long digital footprint is being digitally savvy. The difference between being a good citizen online (rather than being a regular good citizen), is …what you post today, doesn’t go away. Digital data is here to stay (sounds like a song Smile). In the end, the implications for this long term - is just too important to ignore.

I like Andrew Churches references to protecting ourselves, property and each other.  EG: Keep your reputation, name and identity safe online and same considerations for others. Be careful what you post and whether it will have detrimental effects (to yourself or others), somewhere down the track.

Protecting property becomes so much more complex (as you have already discussed) and like Emma says, we might not be able to stop some illegal downloads and file sharing,  “but we can be agents of change and encourage our communities to discuss the ethics and begin to make moral choices…”

It think digital citizenship is like 'plain old' citizenship - for me it comes down to the Key Competencies and what kind of ethical, moral people we want to be. I think it involves unpacking on a daily basis with students- how this might this look – what kind of behaviours would be deemed appropriate online. Two great links helps me think about what this means for students - http://ictpd-digital-citizenship-at-home.wikispaces.com/Key+competencies+in+a+digital+age and http://www.mylgp.org.nz/about/what-is-digital-citizenship/

It also means that we ourselves, model good digital citizenship everyday in the classroom and at home. For teachers and parents, the following modules are also invaluable - which define digital citizenship, address the issues and offer ways to work appropriately online :

* http://ictpd-digital-citizenship-and-cybersafety.wikispaces.com/
    * http://ictpd-digital-citizenship-and-copyright.wikispaces.com/
    * http://ictpd-digital-citizenship-at-home.wikispaces.com/

Any comments for improving these modules, would also be welcome.

Thanks for letting me stop by to chat,

Big smiles,

TessSmile

• Paul Drummond (View all users posts) 21 Mar 2011 9:21am ()

We can't manage or control access to the web. Digital citizenship for me is teaching values that respect people , property and information in a similar way we would expect behaviour anywhere else. Just because I find money on the ground doesn't make it ok to keep. Digital ctizenship is still about what is right and wrong. Unfortunately like in the real world people have varying  appreciation of what that looks like!

Join this group to contribute to discussions.