Search

BYOD Survey Development

• Public
Started by Gerard Macmanus 15 Feb 2012 9:28pm () Replies (11)

I have been trying to come up with a survey to give to students to find out what they could bring and coud have access to at school. Here is a copy, please give me suggestions, ideas, that I have missed or opportunities to develop this further, I have a week to get a final copy completed and out to students.

Should I look at doing it online, through surveymonkey or google forms, or hand it out at form time and get students to complete it. Which do you think will get more coverage? We have 4 labs... and 800+ students...

I look forward to your ideas and suggestions.

Quick Survey
We are trying to determine how many students would have mobile devices available for school use if we changed our policy to allow such devices during the school day.

What mobile devices do you own? Check all that apply.
Laptop (includes netbooks)
Tablet (iPad, Android Tablet)
eReader (kobo, kindle, sony eReader, other)
Smart Phone (iPhone, android, Blackberry)
iPod iTouch
iPod or other mp3 player
Other ________________________________

Of the devices that you own, which ones would you be willing or allowed to bring to school for use in the classroom?
Laptop (includes netbooks)
Tablet (iPad, Android Tablet)
eReader (kobo, kindle, sony eReader, other)
Smart Phone (iPhone, android, Blackberry)
iPod iTouch
iPod or other mp3 player
Other ________________________________

Not to sure whether to ask this?
If you did bring your own device to school, please rank which of the following worries you the most?
My device being stolen
My device being damaged or vandalised
Carrying around my device and finding space to store it when not using it

Do you think that having the opportunity to bring in your own device would be beneficial for your course work at school?
□ Definitely yes
□ No I really don't see a benefit
□ Not sure yet, would have to try it out first

If you have a mobile phone, who is your provider?
Telecom
Vodafone
2degrees mobile
Other______________________

If you had a choice between using an online textbook and using a standard print textbook, which would you prefer?
Online Textbook
Standard Print Textbook
I don’t have a preference

If you had a choice between reading an online book (eBook) and reading a standard print book, which would you prefer?
Online Book (eBook)
Standard Print Book
I don’t have a preference

Do you have Internet Access at home?
Yes
No

If yes, what is your connection type?
Dialup
Mobile - using a T-Stick or Vodem
ADSL
Fibre
Wireless (example: woosh wireless, wired country)

What social networks do you use?
Facebook
Google+
Other _____________

Describe your status at school?
Day Boy
Boarder

Indicate your Year Level
Year 9
Year 10
Year 11
Year 12
Year 13

Please share any thoughts you might have in regards to bringing in your own devices to the classroom: 

Replies

• Allanah King (View all users posts) 15 Feb 2012 10:44pm ()

Good questions- I would give students/teachers the opportunity to do it in a blended way- most online so it's easy to analyse but opportunity

If you had a choice between using an online textbook and using a standard print textbook, which would you prefer? Maybe answer an app type textbook- not online and not traditional either??

If yes, what is your connection type? Maybe simpify and ask- dial up/broadband- I am still not sure what ADSL is???

What social networks do you use Add Twitter, blogging??

Just a thought!!

Good luck with it.

• Gerard Macmanus (View all users posts) 16 Feb 2012 10:12pm ()

My idea of Social Networks look like there are rather limited, I saw twitter as a micro-blogging site, but through various discussions today with students and family I now see it differently. Though I do see Blogging as a form of communication, rather than a social network. Blogging is like a news feed but being able to make comments back on the story.

Though one that was pointed out to me, tumblr.com is considered a social network by the students, though is its About page, it talks about being a blog.

Thanks for the idea on changing dial up/broadband rather than adsl...

App type textbook? Can you eleberate any further on that? I would be interested to hear what it is?

• Allanah King (View all users posts) 16 Feb 2012 10:32pm ()

In the way of an app type text book I was thinking of something like OUr Choice 

http://itunes.apple.com/nz/app/al-gore-our-choice-plan-to/id432753658?mt=8

Or Elements - a visual exploration

http://itunes.apple.com/nz/app/elements-visual-exploration/id364147847?mt=8

These are not eBooks with just words for you to read as you would find on a Kindle but not ordinary books either- I call them app books- multi media experiences in themselves, bought as a separate entity rather than through a Kindle, Kobo type of thing! 

Hope that makes sense- hard to describe in words.

• Gerard Macmanus (View all users posts) 19 Feb 2012 2:58pm ()

ah yes, the AL Gore book. I now see what you are talking about with interactive books.

• Barbara Reid (View all users posts) 16 Feb 2012 8:01am ()

Have you asked the teachers what they want the students to be able to do? I think schools should consider what they want devices to be able to do and students bring a device that meets those needs. Do you have a student group that could write the user agreements that will assist in addressing  those concerns? 

• Gerard Macmanus (View all users posts) 16 Feb 2012 10:20pm ()

Staff are talking about what devices they wise to have and do, There has been a number of intereting conversations that have happened, especially with what has happened through the media around Orewa College.

We are looking at running an evening for the community as well, as well as talking to some of our contributing schools about devices that they have used with the students and some of the issues that they have seen, one I have discussed on here before, around the equity of the device.

There is some PD comming up around Torque IP BYOD Seminar as well as a meeting at GCSN around Teaching and Learning with BYOD that we are looking at as part of our Professional Development and bringing some of those ideas back to the staff.

Its a good idea getting students to write some of the user agreements, I will consider this essential as we look at providing Wireless Acess to our school boarders as part of the implementation plan. Then will look at the day boarders access. Could be part of a group assessment to cover some of the New Zealand Curriculum Key Competiences.

• Jane Whyte (View all users posts) 21 Feb 2012 8:40am ()

Gerard

Thanks Smile for sharing your thoughts about the questions to ask students.  We have completed a staff survey to see what staff were using in their professional capacity (having done one you can see ways of improving it!) using Moodle feedback. I want to now survey the students, like you I would like to get maximum coverage possible from the student population, but I also want easy collation of results. I am thinking about putting the survey on Moodle, but I am stil grappling with how to get as many students as possible to reply

• Gerard Macmanus (View all users posts) 21 Feb 2012 9:02am ()

Unless the school has a BYOD program in place or a 1:1 programme I think this is still a hard area, using online survey's I think you will only get the keen ones and you will get a few others, but not the entire school, unless you book them into a lab.

For me, I am doing the collection of data on paper, yes I know that is an outdated model, however, I am also a Digital Technologies teacher grapling with the Level 2 Digital Information Stand that looks at Databases and dynamic linking of data from databases to spreadsheets/word processor. So I am using this as an assessment task in developing a database to collect and analyze the data for my students, so they can work towards excellence for 6 credits. The students have been working with me on the questions and development of the survey, with this we are also working through stakeholders in our brief to work towards a Technology Achievement Standard as well.

For the staff, we are looking at the eLearning Framework that has come out through the eLearning community on the Virtual learning Network and using some of our PD time to work with teachers on where they see themseleves at, as well as the school.

• Jane Whyte (View all users posts) 16 Mar 2012 10:49am ()

Gerard

How is your survey going?  What percentage of the school did you get replies from?

Thanks

Jane

• Gerard Macmanus (View all users posts) 13 Jun 2012 9:22pm ()

Sorry I haven't got back to you, it has taken my students a little longer to develop the database, webpage entry system and reporting system. I have used this as a Level 2 Digital Information assessment.

What mobile devices do you own?
    Laptop =348
    Tablet =114
    eReader =19
    Smartphone =329
    iPod Touch =385
    iPod or other MP3=241
    Other =122

Of the devices that you own, which ones would you be willing or allowed to bring to school for use in the classroom?
    Laptop =236
    Tablet =67
    eReader =17
    Smartphone =296
    iPod Touch =351
    iPod or other MP3=178
    Other =77

If you did bring your own device to school, please rank which of the following worries you the most?

Stolen voted as No.1 =506
    Stolen voted as No.2 =117
    Stolen voted as No.3 =45

Damaged voted as No.1 =107
    Damaged voted as No.2 =509
    Damaged voted as No.3 =52

Carry voted as No.1 =55
    Carry voted as No.2 =42
    Carry voted as No.3 =569

Do you think that having the opportunity to bring in your own device would be beneficial for your course work at school?
    Positive benefit =405
    No benefit=66
    Not sure yet=190

If you have a mobile phone, who is your provider?
    Telecom =419
    Vodafone =94
    2Degrees =161
    Other =9

If you had a choice between using an online textbook and using a standard print textbook, which would you prefer?
    Online textbook=355
    Standard print textbook=117
    No Preference =193

If you had a choice between reading an online book (eBook) and reading a standard print book, which would you prefer?
    Online textbook=264
    Standard textbook=222
    No Preference =181

Do you have Internet Access at home?
    Internet Yes=549
    Internet No=117

If yes, what is your connection type?
    Dial Up =10
    Mobile =18
    Broadband =376
    Fibre =19
    Wireless =351

What social networks do you use?
    Facebook =586
    Google+ =179
    Twitter =66
    Other =76

Describe your status at school?
    Dayboy =568
    Boarder =98

Indicate your Year Level
    Year 9 =145
    Year 10 =130
    Year 11 =145
    Year 12 =136
    Year 13 =111

Total 667 out of 791 students - 84% return, although there were a number of forms that were returned that the students did not complete the back side of which would affect the data.

Also boarders indicated that they had no access to the Internet at home, as they live on site, which has pushed the number without internet access up.

The students have also identifed another issue with the form, that was around internet connection at home, as a large proporation of students indicated that they use wireless, we think this is not a connection with wired country or woosh, but a issue around an understanding of what we were asking. As most students connect to their home networks through wireless access.

Join this group to contribute to discussions.