Search

Have you used the e-Learning Planning Framework?

• Public
Started by Karen Spencer 15 Feb 2012 4:01pm () Replies (27)

You may have seen that the revised version of the e-Learning Planning Framework, with supporting examples, resources and possible way to use it, has been published on Enabling e-Learning on TKI, under Professional Learning.

Tessa and I also ran a workshop at the Learning@School conference last month, where we talked with many school leaders about the different ways they planned for the development and use of ICTs in their school. We looked at ways in which a principal or school leader might manage an audit or review, using the framework as a roadmap.

Several people at the session wanted to talk further about this, so here we are: are you using the framework? Have you got any suggestions for other schools about how it could be used as part of planning and review? 

Replies

• Cleonie Whyte (View all users posts) 12 Nov 2012 9:54pm ()

I really love this and our kura is going to have a go next year on our TOD for planning with ICT.  Thanks very much for all the comments I am sure it will be a success.

• Judi Lawrence (View all users posts) 05 Nov 2012 1:01pm ()

Useful tools:

• e-learning website framework on line
    • case studies available on line
    • video/webinar's available to learn abou the framework
    • VLN sites like this to keep people connected throughout the country about what and How their school is progressing.    
  • Judi Lawrence (View all users posts) 05 Nov 2012 12:55pm ()

Our school has encouraged trialling of ideas within classrooms where teachers whose e-life is entrenched with the brave new world. They are passionately applying e-learning to their teaching and learning experience and gaining feedback from pupils. They have been critical to the senior leadership/management and BOT"s increased awareness of the immense possibilities and opportunities available in education to use new technology for educational purposes. The world & future of our pupils is vastly different to anyone over 40' world. This work has provided the necessary foundation for any infra-structure & capital investment to be for the right purposes: to enhance educational outcomes. From those trials the school has been studying the e-learning framework and priortising future needs; currently we have just had the education e-learning consultants working in our school to provide recommendations. Helping ALL staff embrace a new learning world will be a challenge to embrace the world's cool tools fpr the best learning environment.   

• denis pyatt (View all users posts) 08 Nov 2012 1:52pm ()

Hi Judi. I read the other day that by the year 2014 more than 80% of internet connections world wide will be through mobile devices. The significance of that for all our schools is going to be huge!

• Amanda OConnell (View all users posts) 10 Sep 2012 10:31am ()

Thanks Chrissie. Your method makes a lot of sense when working with a larger group!

• Chrissie Butler (View all users posts) 06 Sep 2012 11:46pm ()

Here's another example of using the e-Learning Planning Framework in a whole school self review context:

This workshop/self review session was with 28 teachers at a staff meeting. Prior to the session a number of 1:1 or a small group F2F meeting had taken place to build relationships and a shared understanding of the e-Learning Planning Framework (eLPF).

Room set up

6 table groups of 5.

On 5 tables:

• 2x A3 copies of one dimension of the eLPF on each table (each table had a different dimension).
    • 1x A4 copy of eLPF recording sheet highlighted for related dimension as an example of how to fill it in, as shown below.

e-Learning Planning Framework activity

• 5x A4 blank copies of the eLPF recording sheet
    • 5 brightly coloured felt tips in light colours
    On one table:
    • 30 copies of a Teacher Belief survey
    • 5 brightly coloured felt tips in light colours 

Opening

Digital mihi and short intro supported with slides to Blended e-Learning, PLD, why us (the school), why now and the eLPF (20 minutes).

Briefing

Each teacher on the 5 eLPF tables, invited to mark a blank A4 eLPF recording sheet with a symbol of their own choosing to negate getting them mixed up over the hour. This ensured data remained anonymous but was identifiable to the teacher during the session.

Each eLPF table group looked at the A3 dimension on their table. Discussed together, backing up with real examples where each teacher individually saw their "whole school" alligning with the eLPF. Marked responses on eLPF recording sheet, as in the example on the table. If teacher thought "pre-emerging" a more fitting phase, then marked in "emerging" but drew arrow to the left. Teachers also invited to write any clarifying comments on the sheets.

Teacher Belief table. Read thro survey. Discuss the survey and complete individually.

After 10 minutes, we rotated the resources around the room, but the teachers kept hold of their own recording sheets.

Each rotation 5 groups worked on a dimension and one worked on the Teacher Belief Survey.

Closing

Debrief and staff shared some general feedback and personal observations.

Collating data

Following the session, I collated the data. See a fictious example below.

To collate the data:
    • Set up a Survey Monkey and uploaded each recording sheet and any accompanying comments. Included a pre-emerging column.
    • Uploaded the percentages collated by Survey Monkey into the eLPF databook
    • As the pre-emerging data was so significant, uploaded the data for each dimension into a separate chart in Keynote.
    • Added the NZCER pilot eLPF databook results to the Keynote and a couple of extra slides so the the info could easily be shared with BOT or staff.
    • Collated the text comments separately to share F2F.

Docs I would use again:

• Justine Driver (View all users posts) 04 Oct 2012 3:36pm ()

Thanks Chrissie for a really easy to understand portrayal of how you have used the eLPF - the links to the documents appear to lead back to the VLN and don't open.  I'd find it really useful if these could be available - the example of the eLPF report is very easy to read and the colour coding is excellent.  I'd be interested in the first 2 docs - if you could email me: justined@pakurangaheights.school.nz I'd really appreciate it, so that I could adapt to my context rather than reinvent the wheel. Great sharing!

• Tessa Gray (View all users posts) 28 Aug 2012 11:28am ()

Check out the latest Gazette article, First-time principal embraces Blended e-Learning which profiles the work Anne Sturgess (National Blended e-Learning facilitator) is doing with first time principal, Angelique Bidois in Matata Public School - as part of the e-Learning professional development for schools.

The article also showcases the pivotal role the e-Learning Planning Framework has had - "...to scaffold their learning and development in e-learning."

• Kathe Tawhiwhirangi (View all users posts) 24 Jul 2012 12:38pm ()

Having now utilised the eLPF for the past year (while currently trialing the MMeLPF), I have found the following process really valuable....

• an initial email that invites the school/teachers to peruse the eLPF, a teacher beliefs survey and view the eLPF video clip in the EEL website - prior to my first visit has been useful
    • on arriving at the school - and realising how busy teachers are - I plan to start at the very beginning (revisiting the above documentation) with the staff, while sharing back a cumulative teacher belief survey where teachers may see themselves in this survey feedback but can't see each other. This provokes initial discussion around the overall picture that is being presented in this form
    • from this, discussion usually comes around to why? This then presents further discussion around the eCapability of schools while highlighting each of the 5 diemsions as in the eLPF
    • viewing the video clip on EEL, sets a good scene for teachers to then address the eLPF.
    • the eLPF is separated into each of the 5 dimensions, it has been colour copied and zoomed up to A3 sizes for ease of reading, and spread around the room to encourage teachers to have conversations and pose questions with each other 

elpf1.jpg

• teachers are then invited to rove around the room and fill in this eLPF template table check . They indicate on the form whether they are a principal, staff or whanau - no names, and place themselves - through their eyes - on the framework. This encourages their reality - not their colleagues!
    • These individual forms can be used for individual goal setting/teacher inquiries, alongside the collective 'picture' that has been indicated from the cumulative feedback 

elpf2.jpg

• the feedback/analysis clearly indicates current positioning as well as some clear direction for next steps
    • the buy in for all concerned - I believe - is in the fact that all staff are involved, all have a voice, all have been part of the discussions and all are invited to have a voice on all aspects of the eLPF. In this manner, they are then all involved in the planning, delivery, expected outcomes and deadlines!
    • the next steps and co-constructiong actions to meet these, generates a collective develoment/action/strategic plan for the school
    • every schools addresses these differently too eg. one dimension may take priority or one action from each dimension may take priority or two-three dimensions may take priority. At about this stage the true meaning of personalised and/or tailored approaches, comes to the fore :-)
    • Suffice to say, after walking alongside this framework for the last year or so, I am owning up to being absolutely biased! The myriad of questions that are being fired at me as I put this on the table for consideration means I am constantly needing to "respond with clarity and precision" to ally any concerns

elpf3.jpg

• Amanda OConnell (View all users posts) 24 Jul 2012 1:38pm ()

Kia ora, Kathe

Your explanation was particularly useful to me whilst easing into the process of using the eLPF with schools. To me the biggest value of the shared approach with staff is the matter of ownership so they don't feel as if something is just imposed on them, but rather seen as a tool to trigger their thinking and creativity.

• Tessa Gray (View all users posts) 08 Mar 2012 8:47pm ()

Kia ora Moana, yes stickies are a great invention! There are a number of audits or surveys created to capture teacher/student knowledge, skills, confidence and ability when using ICTs - much like the one HERE>>>

Some folk in the VLN groups space are already sharing ideas around data collection such as:

Today's decision was to collect data from teachers about what e-learning tools, digital resources, websites, games they are familar with, the purpose for using these, as well as frequency - to support numeracy. This data could provide information of what goals to target in professional learning and for whom -  as part of evidence-based decision making.

I'd love to find out what other teacher/student/community surveys people have used that could also support the e-Learning Planning Framework. Do you have one to share?

• Moana Timoko (View all users posts) 09 Mar 2012 4:58pm ()

Thanks Tessa - it would have taken me a while to find all of those links.  Muchly appreciated!!

• Tessa Gray (View all users posts) 08 Mar 2012 3:35pm ()

Today I was lucky enough to work in one of my local schools using the e-learning Planning Framework - to help map e-learning direction in that school. Having worked closely with the framework,  I really wanted to see first-hand how this could work. It did work and was convincing for a number of reasons. 

What did we do...

The principal, e-learning leader myself worked our way through the eLPF highlighting the current position and adding stickies for those areas that needed immediate attention. We chose a few goals to focus on - 1) who to share this with and 2) staff and student audits 3) ways to use the framework to support the school’s focus on numeracy.

Conversation around the framework...

• opened the way for honest open discussion about their current reality
    • enabled discussions to go in any direction, based on the natural flow of conversation
    • affirmed the good things already happening in the school
    • indicated when decisions were made, whether they were made based on 'gut instinct' or hard data (stocktake, audit)
    • highlighted the need for e-learning references in the school vision and strategic direction
    • clarified any purchasing or precurement decisions need to be pedagogically driven
    • enabled the annual focus (numeracy) to have an e-learning lens - as 'something we do' rather than an extra or add on

Where to from here...

The next steps will be to create a couple of action plan goals (few) from the within the dimensions and have the e-learning leaders address some practical steps using the Examples and resources and How might you use the e-Learning Planning Framework? support material. I look forward to watching this progress. Smile

• Moana Timoko (View all users posts) 08 Mar 2012 5:46pm ()

OOOooooo Tessa, thanks for sharing!!!  Can you please explain what you mean by "staff and student audits" - What exactly is the plan with that?  I think I know, but really I'm not 100% sure.  I also like the idea of using stickies to identify tasks requiring immediate attention.  Actually I like it all!!!!  

• Sean Lyons (View all users posts) 23 Feb 2012 10:53am ()

Not sure if this quite counts as a "use" of the framework specifically, but I wanted to add to the conversation generally.

We are ensuring that the re-develpment of the NetSafe Kit for Schools is aligned with the ELPF.

With the Kit's role of  providing schools with a series of tools which help to support the integration of a digital citizenship philosophy and practice across the school, the Digital Citizenship strands of the ELPF provide essential benchmarks for schools using the kit to assess where they are 'at' in terms of integrating Digital Citizenship principles across the entire school community.

It is providing us and schools with further validation of their Digital Citizenship processes.

Join this group to contribute to discussions.

e-Learning: Leadership

e-Learning: Leadership

Exploring leadership for change, vision, policy and strategy that integrates ICTs into learning.