Dealing with the 'entitlement' factor

• Public
Started by Isaac Day 24 Feb 2011 9:19am () Replies (2)

During the discussion yesterday we spoke about our staff who are resistant to the elearning wave that is moving around them. One of the ideas I suggested was that some (not all) of this can be attributed to an individuals attitude which is brought on by an over inflated sense of entitlement... i.e. I'll only do that if you give me more release/units, or I'm happy with the way my class operates... They can get that elearning stuff from you! That is, I am entitled to do what I want and if I don't want to do elearning 'stuff' in my class, then I don't have to! What areyour thoughts?

Replies

• Emma Watts (View all users posts) 02 Mar 2011 9:49pm ()

The sense of entitlement or reluctance to move from the industrial era to the knowledge era directly links to leadership and agents of change.   The challenge for the e-learning lead teachers and their school leadership teams is to be the agents of change.  Our role is to encourage others to be forward thinking, innovative, passionate, inspirational, focused, precise communicators, reflective, thought provoking, collaborative, life long learners, listeners, to feedback and feed forward and support next steps with evidence.  

This is not always an easy process. KLP suggests leaders need to ‘recognise that change can bring about counter-productive emotional responses'.  The document suggests that leaders; ‘ensure all staff feel their concerns are genuinely listened to and understood, support staff who feel they may lose control during the exploration of new approaches, explain how changed approaches may be consistent with some established values while challenging others.' 

Jerry Paterson (1993:3 - Leadership for Tomorrow's Schools) states that ‘leading is defined as the process of influencing others to achieve mutually agreed upon purposes for the organisation'.  Dr. Julia Aitken suggests at Learning@Schools: that schools need to reconceptualise leadership - she suggests that leadership is both transactional (maintenance) and transformational (learning).  Managing is part of what leaders do but it is not the same as leading. (‘Leading - getting to the heart of the matter')

In her breakout Dr. Julia Aitken described the phases that all learners go through where learning to read or learning to drive a car.  She named the first two phases the ‘Guru Loop' where staff can be stuck in phase 1: unconscious incompetence - "we don't know that we don't know" (tactic knowledge) and phase 2: conscious incompetence - "we know that we don't know" (explicit knowledge strategies).  When in the ‘Guru Loop' teachers strongly believe that someone else has the answer.  As agents of change (leaders) our next challenge, I suggest is to inspire staff to the last 2 phases of development; phase 3: conscious competence - "we know that we know' (deliberate conscious) and phase 4: unconscious competence - "We don't know that we know" (reflective inventive).

So are you an agent of change?  Do you inspire others to become life-long learners?  Can an agent of change shift the paradigm of an ‘over inflated sense of entitlement'.  As teachers what are we entitled to?  How does this fit in with a work/life balance?  How can I support teachers in my school in becoming life-long learners and an inspiration to their students, whilst maintain their zest and their well-being?  I look forward to hearing about others views on this topic!

Join this group to contribute to discussions.