Search

iPads in the Junior Classroom

Started by Jade Kylee Butler 06 Dec 2011 6:49pm () Replies (129)

Hi, I would love to know what others are doing with iPads in their classrooms!  I am in a year two class and we have been doing a range of things with them in our room! 

- I use them as part of my reading rotation and specify what apps I want the students to use. 

- I also use it as part of my maths rotation and again specify the apps I want the students to use. 

- I have also got apple t.v set up in my room and use this to airplay shared reading!  My students love reading along with the wonkey donkey! 

- I have also used mirroring and the whiteboard app in a maths group situation where students solve problems on their iPad and then turn the mirroring on as they share how they solved the problem with others!

- I have also worked with students to create their own comic lifes about atheletics day.

Would LOVE to hear what others are doing!

Replies

• Tara Fagan (View all users posts) 26 Feb 2012 2:16pm ()

There are some great apps out there for young children, including children under 5.  Through a research grant from CORE Education, Tania Coutts and I have been researcing the use of iPads in early childhood settings.  We have been observing how children are using iPads, what it is about the apps that engage them and what learning is happening for the children.  Like anything, there is a real mixture of apps - there are some fantastic ones that are open-ended and provide many learning experiences, and others that are really limited.  One of the apps that the children have been enoying  is Pirate Scribblebeard's Treasure where children draw illustrations in the story, and then these illustrations become animiated (check out our review).  iPads, coupled with good apps, have a place in early childhood settings just as much as other creative tools and it is exciting to think that this is becoming a reality.

• Tara Fagan (View all users posts) 04 Mar 2012 12:57pm ()

Hi Josie

The Blogpress app works on the Ipad so you can use that to access your blog account.  There is a cost for the Blogpress app though.

Tara 

• Tara Fagan (View all users posts) 04 Apr 2013 9:24pm ()

Hi Justine

Am really keen to know what maths apps you are using in the classroom to support your learner.  Great that you have also starting using it for writing.  I know I find digital storytelling really useful for strengthening oral literacy  - the Sock Puppets app is proving great for great for this Smile

Join this group to contribute to discussions.