Search

iPads in the Junior Classroom

Started by Jade Kylee Butler 06 Dec 2011 6:49pm () Replies (129)

Hi, I would love to know what others are doing with iPads in their classrooms!  I am in a year two class and we have been doing a range of things with them in our room! 

- I use them as part of my reading rotation and specify what apps I want the students to use. 

- I also use it as part of my maths rotation and again specify the apps I want the students to use. 

- I have also got apple t.v set up in my room and use this to airplay shared reading!  My students love reading along with the wonkey donkey! 

- I have also used mirroring and the whiteboard app in a maths group situation where students solve problems on their iPad and then turn the mirroring on as they share how they solved the problem with others!

- I have also worked with students to create their own comic lifes about atheletics day.

Would LOVE to hear what others are doing!

Replies

• Tania (View all users posts) 07 Dec 2011 9:10am ()

Sock Puppets is a great app for encouraging literacy, drramatic storytelling - Have written a brief blurb about it here.  Also really like Strip Design for storytelling.  Awesome for engaging children in documenting their stories - can use photos from camera roll or take photos as you go.

Have funCool

• Tania (View all users posts) 07 Dec 2011 9:11am ()

Sock Puppets is a great app for encouraging literacy, drramatic storytelling - Have written a brief blurb about it here.  Also really like Strip Design for storytelling.  Awesome for engaging children in documenting their stories - can use photos from camera roll or take photos as you go.

Have funCool

• Tania (View all users posts) 07 Dec 2011 9:11am ()

Have funCool

• Tania (View all users posts) 01 Mar 2012 10:01am ()

Hi Josie,

I would suggest blogger as a good platform for this.  In your settings you can choose if you want it to be totally public or invite only so will be able to invite board, staff and families in via email.  You are also able to set up to blog via email within your settings under 'mobile and email' - you simply create an email address and then email your photos/videos from your iPad straight to your blog.  Feel free to get in touch if you would like some phone/online support with the set up process.

• Tania (View all users posts) 02 Mar 2012 8:29am ()

Hi Josie,

You don't necessary need a blogger app - once you have set up email for your blogger you can simply email straight from iPad/iPod touch or iPhone to your blog.Kiss

• Tania (View all users posts) 06 Jul 2012 1:08pm ()

A few other very simple story writing apps that I recommend

Halftone $1.29 - very simple 'comic life' type format.  Easy to use.

Fotobabble Free

Storyrobe $1.29 - this is great for students still developing written language as they are able to record 3 minutes of voice with their photos.  Great for building oral language.  Have used it for students to take photos of their artwork and then tell a story about their creation which works really well.

I also really like book creator as mentioned above.

• Tania (View all users posts) 13 Aug 2012 11:02am ()

Awesome CatrionaCool  I have also shared within our early years community on ECEOnline.  There is also great discussion going on in our community with early childhood centres trialing iPads.

Join this group to contribute to discussions.