Search

iPads in the Junior Classroom

Started by Jade Kylee Butler 06 Dec 2011 6:49pm () Replies (129)

Hi, I would love to know what others are doing with iPads in their classrooms!  I am in a year two class and we have been doing a range of things with them in our room! 

- I use them as part of my reading rotation and specify what apps I want the students to use. 

- I also use it as part of my maths rotation and again specify the apps I want the students to use. 

- I have also got apple t.v set up in my room and use this to airplay shared reading!  My students love reading along with the wonkey donkey! 

- I have also used mirroring and the whiteboard app in a maths group situation where students solve problems on their iPad and then turn the mirroring on as they share how they solved the problem with others!

- I have also worked with students to create their own comic lifes about atheletics day.

Would LOVE to hear what others are doing!

Replies

• MrsB30 (View all users posts) 08 May 2014 2:36pm ()

Do you use the paid version of Popplet? I love Popplet but just using the free version

• Shanna (View all users posts) 08 May 2014 1:53pm ()

Book Creator and Popplet have been my all time favourite APPS to use in literacy predominantly, but we have also made some use in maths. Tons of fun! Plus......started seeing some cross APP application....kids using a Popplet they have created in their Book Creator book! So awesome, as the kids tried that out without any ideas coming from me.

• Vanitha Govini (View all users posts) 06 May 2014 2:12pm ()

Hi everyone, I noticed a few requests for some Maths apps. e-learning in primary Mathematics VLN group includes some group discussion / ideas related to Maths apps and other digital technologies to enhance the learning experiemces in Mathematics.

/groups/profile/799306/e-learning-in-primary-mathematics

• karins (View all users posts) 06 May 2014 1:57pm ()
    Not an app- but have you used "study ladder"? It aligns with NZ curriculum, has individual free log ons for all students so you can track what they are doing and what is causing them difficulty, they earn points they can spend in pimping up a virtual bedroom. You can set the activities you want each group to be working on at whatever level they are at.
    You can access it on an ipad or notebook or PC and children can access it at home. There are also printables and mini videos teaching various maths concepts.
  • MrsB30 (View all users posts) 05 May 2014 3:42pm ()

I have a Year 2/3 class and I really like Puppet Pals.  You can take photos of the children and then they use themselves as a puppet on any chosen background.  I used it last time for them to share their Te Reo learning from Term 1 (you can see them on my blog if you want - www.uhpsroom172014.blogspot.com) I love Futaba, which is a paid app but well worth the money.  You can have 4 students using one ipad at the time and it's a quiz game.  You can use the questions from the gallery (maths, languages, sight words etc) or make your own questions and answers.  Educreations is great for recording voice and annonations.  My students use it to explain their maths strategies.  Found it the best out of the free whiteboard apps.  Pic collage is a simple way to add a few photos and get students to retell an event.

• Simon Coleman (View all users posts) 05 May 2014 2:44pm ()

Kia ora All and I hope the first day at school has gone well!

I too, like Tane, am looking at apps for the ipad that assist with raising literacy and numearcy particularly for our boys at yr 7-10 [who seem to fit the lower end of these areas] - ENGAGEMENT!!

Any help appreciated. Simon 

• Debbie (View all users posts) 05 May 2014 12:59pm ()

Just from going to the course last week in Auckland the Sock Puppet app is good for getting the children talking and tellagami.

• Tane Bennett (View all users posts) 05 May 2014 12:07pm ()

Kia ora to all the hard working teachers.

Could someone help me with identifying appropriate apps for new entrant children to build basic oral language skills.  I would prefer apps that would promote and encourage "speak" and/or "sound"

Following on from that, does anyone know of a list or catalogue of apps that I could refer to that may help?

Thanks

Tane

• Jason Ruakere (View all users posts) 09 Dec 2013 11:50am ()

Kia ora Roxy,

Here are some great apps that you can customise yourself for counting. If you explore the rest of the apps they are also great for using with tamariki.

http://www.grasshopperapps.com/apps/counting-bear/

Ngā mihi nui,

Jason

• Anna Harrison (View all users posts) 04 Jun 2013 2:53pm ()

Hi Jo, I agree with you, I love all the possibilities within Puppet Pals...retelling a ststory brainstorming per writing, practising fluency, comprehension if two book characters interview each other...so many possibilities within one app tomfocusnon different learning needs.

Join this group to contribute to discussions.