Search

iPads in the Junior Classroom

Started by Jade Kylee Butler 06 Dec 2011 6:49pm () Replies (129)

Hi, I would love to know what others are doing with iPads in their classrooms!  I am in a year two class and we have been doing a range of things with them in our room! 

- I use them as part of my reading rotation and specify what apps I want the students to use. 

- I also use it as part of my maths rotation and again specify the apps I want the students to use. 

- I have also got apple t.v set up in my room and use this to airplay shared reading!  My students love reading along with the wonkey donkey! 

- I have also used mirroring and the whiteboard app in a maths group situation where students solve problems on their iPad and then turn the mirroring on as they share how they solved the problem with others!

- I have also worked with students to create their own comic lifes about atheletics day.

Would LOVE to hear what others are doing!

Replies

• Jade Kylee Butler (View all users posts) 29 Oct 2012 11:21am ()

Hi All

I have started blogging about some of the things I am doing with iPads in the classroom!  I am a new blogger so please check out my blog and my newest snapshot of learning.  This is a honest reflection of some of the things I have done and some of the things I am doing in my room.  Please leave a comment!

http://jadesilvajourney.blogspot.co.nz/

Jade

• Tessa Gray (View all users posts) 26 Mar 2013 2:07pm ()

Kia ora tatou Smile what a rich range of dialogue and sharing. One of our greatest contributors has been Josie Woon, whose name has popped up regularly in this thread. As well as Josie's input into this community, your questions and responses have also helped to influence Josie's classroom practice - particularly with the use of Ipads to help diverse learner needs in her year one class.

Ipad webinar invite

If you want to know more about what Josie has done in the classroom; systems she has set up for use, apps she has downloaded and how these have improved specific learning outcomes for her students, then why not join us for tomorrow’s LIVE webinar? 

We’d also love to have you share your stories too. ‘See you there’. Hei konei ra, nga mihi Tess

• justine (View all users posts) 04 Apr 2013 9:07pm ()

i have a special needs child in my class and have started using the ipad as a carrort to get some of her maths done, its the one things she really struggles with also started using it for writing.  

• Allanah King (View all users posts) 04 Apr 2013 9:11pm ()

What apps does she particularly enjoy using for maths and writing.

For beginning writers I found the predictive text on an iPad somewhat distracting. How do you cope with that?

Allanah

• justine (View all users posts) 04 Apr 2013 9:40pm ()

at the moment we have been using  a basic number ordering act, may look into the number bingo.  not sure which one she used for her writing she used it with TA.  problem we are having 2 many classes not enough ipads. will also look at the sock puppet one

• Tessa Gray (View all users posts) 05 Apr 2013 8:12am ()

Kia ora tatou, you can now view the recording of last week's webinar on: Using mobile technologies in the junior classroom - one teacher's story in this DIRECT LINK. An inspirational journey of teacher-led PLD and new learning that has led to changes in classroom practice and outcomes for students.

There's also a summary blog post @ /blog/view/794613/webinar-using-mobile-technologies-in-a-junior-classroom--one-teachers-story-enabling-e-learning-event

• Tara Fagan (View all users posts) 04 Apr 2013 9:24pm ()

Hi Justine

Am really keen to know what maths apps you are using in the classroom to support your learner.  Great that you have also starting using it for writing.  I know I find digital storytelling really useful for strengthening oral literacy  - the Sock Puppets app is proving great for great for this Smile

• Matthew Thomas (View all users posts) 05 Apr 2013 5:19pm ()

Theres always the 100s Board and Tens Frame apps for using with Juniors.  I still use them most days in my classroom, and rate them! 

• Patrick Pink (View all users posts) 11 Apr 2013 6:02am ()

HI, Justine,

That's great that she likes the iPad and finds it engaging and meaningful.  What are some of her other strengths and interests?  There are so many apps for iPad that can incorporate learner's strengths and interests and enhance engagement.  I have often used the iPad with a couple of learners at a time to develop and practice social interaction while doing something fun.  Here is a link of a site that has some educational apps.  There are also links to other sites.  Hope it helps

http://www.teachthought.com/apps-2/12-best-childrens-educational-ipad-apps-of-2012/

• Michael Fawcett (View all users posts) 04 Apr 2013 10:56pm ()

If autocorrect is distracting it can be turned off in settings/keyboard.  There's also a Cydia tweak for Jalbroken devices that reverses the normal autocorrect function. ie it only corrects if you tap the suggested spelling.

• Roxy Hickman (View all users posts) 08 Apr 2013 11:14am ()

Hi Justine,

Here is a link that might help - it is more literacy orientated but I'm sure will be inspiring and informative for not only your student with special needs, but all of your students.

There is an introductory video that talks about early literacy development progressions as well as a PDF that gives a great range of Apps to explore categorized into each of the development stages.

Apps for Early Literacy Series - Spectronics

I hope this helps with identifying the needs of your students and choosing an appropriate App.

• Monika Kern (View all users posts) 08 Apr 2013 12:25pm ()

Just a question about how have NE/Y1 teachers dealt with this:

The iPad keyboard displays all letters as uppercase on the onscreen keyboard. Some children are looking for lower case letters to write their sentences and get confused by this. Has this happened to you? What have you done / would you do about this?

There seems to be no official Apple app solution to this, though there apparently is a hack "ShowCase" where your keyboard can display the lower case letters. Has anyone got any opinion on this?

Has anyone used a lowercase/uppercase chart (on paper) they could recommend / share?

Thanks!

• Josie Woon (View all users posts) 08 Apr 2013 12:39pm ()

I am in a break out at the learning at school roadshow that same question has just come up.  Jill Hammonds has talked about the amount of time children have on the computer rather than making this easier.  you can download Some keyboard templeates for mac or PC that are colour coded and she talks about using these during the day for writing their words and modelling what button a you push.  Rather than change this as the keyboard will not change they need to get use to using this.  Hope this helps.  I have a year one teacher in my team who has the same issue but will use some of the examples above to help her little ones.  I also get her to make sure they log onto the computer each morning and write their name this helps with speed and familiarity.

• Innes Kennard (View all users posts) 09 Apr 2013 7:20am ()

I think i am just old enough to remember when this was an enormous discussion in the 80's when 'them new fangled toys' (actual quote from a parent in those days) started to trickle into a few schools. Parents talked about banning their children from using the computers because of the impact it would have on their handwriting skills specifically capital letters - also that this would mean they would never learn to read. I guess that generation is now in their late 30's. 

Build the keyboard into the conversations you have around alphabet, letters, writing. I have a laminated lower case keyboard sheet but can't advertise it here 8-}

By the way my handwriting is and has always been appalling - must have happened because they got rid of slates well before the 'new fangled' toys days. I just wished someone had given me a keyboard way back then and taught me how to use it.

• Catriona Pene (View all users posts) 14 Apr 2013 10:09am ()

Hi Jade and others,

Here is a great infographic through from my scoopit feed this morning highlighting the range of ways teachers can use iPads to support teaching and learning and classroom management.

Worth a look! 

• davidb (View all users posts) 14 Apr 2013 10:11am ()

Hi Catriona, the infographic link doesn't seem to work

• Catriona Pene (View all users posts) 14 Apr 2013 10:41am ()

Thanks for the heads up - fixed now : )

• Marnel van der Spuy (View all users posts) 14 Apr 2013 3:21pm ()

How about Book Creator

News-O-Matic looks like a good pick to encourage 7 - 10 years old students to read the news.

• Charlotte Corfe (View all users posts) 03 Jul 2014 3:49pm ()

News-o-matic is a hit with my Year 5 class, both with very able and lower readers.  I have created a task sheet where the students read a number of articles and then have to come back to the class and share what they read with the class.  Very easy and able to be self managed.  Headphones are a must when used in class.

• Allanah King (View all users posts) 03 Jul 2014 9:19pm ()

I see there is a paid for version and a free version. The paid is $24! What do you have? Do you know what the difference is?

• Yvonne L (View all users posts) 16 Sep 2014 2:17pm ()

I have discovered that when using the 'read to me' button you can stop it at the end of a sentence or paragraph and when ready rehit button and it carries on from where you stopped.  Good for those readers who want to listen and then have ago to read ... also will give them time to stop and record key words ..

I agree,  this is such a great app ...

Yvonne

• Robert Bale (View all users posts) 29 Apr 2013 9:22am ()

very basic, but I use a sound recorder in a year one class to record discussion. We turn the discussion into mindmaps and wordwalls but listening back to the recording and having the students rasie their hands when they hear a key point of word they want to use from the recording.

• Tane Bennett (View all users posts) 05 May 2014 12:07pm ()

Kia ora to all the hard working teachers.

Could someone help me with identifying appropriate apps for new entrant children to build basic oral language skills.  I would prefer apps that would promote and encourage "speak" and/or "sound"

Following on from that, does anyone know of a list or catalogue of apps that I could refer to that may help?

Thanks

Tane

Join this group to contribute to discussions.