Search

iPads in the Junior Classroom

Started by Jade Kylee Butler 06 Dec 2011 6:49pm () Replies (129)

Hi, I would love to know what others are doing with iPads in their classrooms!  I am in a year two class and we have been doing a range of things with them in our room! 

- I use them as part of my reading rotation and specify what apps I want the students to use. 

- I also use it as part of my maths rotation and again specify the apps I want the students to use. 

- I have also got apple t.v set up in my room and use this to airplay shared reading!  My students love reading along with the wonkey donkey! 

- I have also used mirroring and the whiteboard app in a maths group situation where students solve problems on their iPad and then turn the mirroring on as they share how they solved the problem with others!

- I have also worked with students to create their own comic lifes about atheletics day.

Would LOVE to hear what others are doing!

Replies

• Josie Woon (View all users posts) 26 May 2012 1:40pm ()

I need help. I was able to email the photos I took from the iPad and use them this way 

Which seems the easiest as I don't have a Mac computer.   However now it won't send to any email

Address, it doesn't even make that swooshing noise as it sends.  Can anyone help? I'm not sure

what to check or change. Thanks

• Carol Kendall (View all users posts) 26 May 2012 3:44pm ()

Try checking that the wifi is still turned on and connected - sounds silly, but it has happened to me. Has someone changed the email account details without you realising (I disable the ability to alter accounts). Try shutting down the iPad and then restarting it?

Good luck!

• Josie Woon (View all users posts) 05 Jun 2012 12:26am ()

All done thank you the ipad was logged in under the wrong email so wasnt sending anywhere, had to change to the icloud one and works fine

Thanks

• Josie Woon (View all users posts) 05 Jun 2012 12:25am ()

Hi sorry late reply

This is my inquiry project blog about ipads in the class using them for special needs children, willl finish updating soon.

http://ipadsinroom9.blogspot.co.nz/  Let me know if it helps

• Iona Rait (View all users posts) 16 Jun 2012 12:48pm ()

I have a year 0/1 class.  I use our iPads for lots of things as people have mentioned- reading and maths rotations.  But I use it as my 'stereo' and a techie monitor learns how to navigate the music part for us.

I also use it for my exercise to music-fitness activities.  

Students use it for a listening post.  I upload the ready-to-read cds to it and the kids take the books and read along side the audio.

I'm just starting to create a book shelf of ebooks of the kids' work (or they will) so they can read their own creations.  I'm using the Book Creator app.  It allows you to add drawings or photos from the camera roll, and you can add audio.

• Suzie Vesper (View all users posts) 20 Jul 2012 3:21pm ()

Hi all.  There is a new snapshot of learning up in the Software for Learning group showing how another junior teacher incorporates a range of tools into her e-learning classroom including iPads.

/pages/view/694384/snapshot-blogger-wikispaces-kidblog-and-ipads

• Steve Dunsmore (View all users posts) 24 Jul 2012 9:25am ()

Hi Jade - Should have spotted that this was you earlier!  I looked at the group and have implemented the TV and Apple TV idea myself for my new Junior Room Teacher.  Having had very little going on with the previous incumbent the 50" plasma plus iPads seems to have caught the children's attention!  We use it for all the obvious reasons but also show the kids their work.  Blogging to .tumblr from the iPads is easy and kid friendly.  An example of our most reluctant 5 year old writer is at the link below.  Mum and dad commented on the post and we looked at it on the TV yesterday.  Amazing to do so much within days of the appropriate gear being installed.

http://kaipakijuniors.tumblr.com/post/27384566343/the-bubbles-exploded-on-the-concrete-the-bubbles#disqus_thread

All this just proves again to me the motivation of appropriate ICT for learning.

• Jade Kylee Butler (View all users posts) 08 Aug 2012 3:39pm ()

Hi Steve!  Great to see you hooking the kids in using apple tv and the iPads.  Looks like you are doing some wonderful things for your writers!  :)  I use kiwi kids news and stuff for writing to hook the students into current events.  Hows everything going at your new school?

• Catriona Pene (View all users posts) 13 Aug 2012 10:56am ()

Hi all,

I have just left a year 3 class to work for CORE Education. Just before I left I put together this handout ipod and ipad apps for parents.pdffor my parents to help them choose apps for home that we were using succesfully in the classroom.

You are welcome to share with your staff and parents. 

• Tania (View all users posts) 13 Aug 2012 11:02am ()

Awesome CatrionaCool  I have also shared within our early years community on ECEOnline.  There is also great discussion going on in our community with early childhood centres trialing iPads.

• Cathy Middleton (View all users posts) 13 Aug 2012 12:56pm ()

Thanks Catriona,  your attachment is wonderful.Cool

• Allanah King (View all users posts) 13 Aug 2012 2:07pm ()

In my class recently I used SketchTime nicely with an early activity from the Numeracy Booklet 

http://moturoa.blogspot.co.nz/2012/06/petals.html

and have look through our class blog for other iPad activities

http://moturoa.blogspot.co.nz/

My iPad Google site has a few apps linked in groups across the curriculum that may interest you as well.

https://sites.google.com/site/initialipadsetup/

• Michelle Kerr (View all users posts) 23 Aug 2012 9:28pm ()

Have you had a look at this, the snapshot has some good ideas as will as tips for using in the classroom.  Found it really useful. /pages/view/500245/snapshot-ipads-in-a-junior-classroom

• Carolyn (View all users posts) 04 Sep 2012 8:54am ()

Hi, 

I am a Year 2 teacher and I have recently purchased my own ipad and I am using it with my students (waiting for school to purchase some!). I am loving all the suggestions in this group, I have found most of them quite helpful.

I am looking for an app that will help support my students in counting backwards from any number 1 - 100.  I have found a few that count forwards, but wonder if anyone has found a good one for counting backwards?

• Roxy Hickman (View all users posts) 08 Apr 2013 11:31am ()

For counting backwards from 20 I have an app that I have used with my students:  20-1 Counting. It guides the student through the process of "learn" "follow" "play". Unfortunately there are no options in the app for changing the range of numbers or turning off the music.

• Jason Ruakere (View all users posts) 09 Dec 2013 11:50am ()

Kia ora Roxy,

Here are some great apps that you can customise yourself for counting. If you explore the rest of the apps they are also great for using with tamariki.

http://www.grasshopperapps.com/apps/counting-bear/

Ngā mihi nui,

Jason

Join this group to contribute to discussions.