Search

iPads in the Junior Classroom

Started by Jade Kylee Butler 06 Dec 2011 6:49pm () Replies (129)

Hi, I would love to know what others are doing with iPads in their classrooms!  I am in a year two class and we have been doing a range of things with them in our room! 

- I use them as part of my reading rotation and specify what apps I want the students to use. 

- I also use it as part of my maths rotation and again specify the apps I want the students to use. 

- I have also got apple t.v set up in my room and use this to airplay shared reading!  My students love reading along with the wonkey donkey! 

- I have also used mirroring and the whiteboard app in a maths group situation where students solve problems on their iPad and then turn the mirroring on as they share how they solved the problem with others!

- I have also worked with students to create their own comic lifes about atheletics day.

Would LOVE to hear what others are doing!

Replies

• Tara Fagan (View all users posts) 26 Feb 2012 2:16pm ()

There are some great apps out there for young children, including children under 5.  Through a research grant from CORE Education, Tania Coutts and I have been researcing the use of iPads in early childhood settings.  We have been observing how children are using iPads, what it is about the apps that engage them and what learning is happening for the children.  Like anything, there is a real mixture of apps - there are some fantastic ones that are open-ended and provide many learning experiences, and others that are really limited.  One of the apps that the children have been enoying  is Pirate Scribblebeard's Treasure where children draw illustrations in the story, and then these illustrations become animiated (check out our review).  iPads, coupled with good apps, have a place in early childhood settings just as much as other creative tools and it is exciting to think that this is becoming a reality.

• Josie Woon (View all users posts) 29 Feb 2012 11:00pm ()

I would like to blog about the introduction of 2 iPads into my classroom, be able to share with the board, staff and families but not go public yet. Does anyone have any suggestions? Also want to easily be able to add photos and videos from the iPad. 

• Tania (View all users posts) 01 Mar 2012 10:01am ()

Hi Josie,

I would suggest blogger as a good platform for this.  In your settings you can choose if you want it to be totally public or invite only so will be able to invite board, staff and families in via email.  You are also able to set up to blog via email within your settings under 'mobile and email' - you simply create an email address and then email your photos/videos from your iPad straight to your blog.  Feel free to get in touch if you would like some phone/online support with the set up process.

• Matthew Thomas (View all users posts) 12 Mar 2012 9:12pm ()

WordPress is great for this too, and the WordPress app.  We use this for both public and private blogs at school.

• Josie Woon (View all users posts) 29 Feb 2012 11:03pm ()

And thanks for that I have a friend working for CORE this year and heascent me their link, have added most of them. Will keep checking it for new reviews. Trying to find reputable reviews of apps for NZ primary kids is quite hard apart from on here.

• Josie Woon (View all users posts) 01 Mar 2012 8:37pm ()

Just letting you know Grimms fairytaapp interactive 3D pop up books are free today, there are 3 of them.  They look good, nice graphics andactivities to do along the way. Enjoy

• Josie Woon (View all users posts) 01 Mar 2012 10:06pm ()

Awesome thank you Tania.  I have loaded up blogger will have a play but def be in touch if get stuck.  Ill let you know how I go thanks again

• Helen Prescott (View all users posts) 01 Mar 2012 10:10pm ()

Do youknow you can buy a Belin five person splitter fromHarvey Normans for $29 and you have a listening post.

• iDave (View all users posts) 02 Mar 2012 2:53pm ()
  • Helen Prescott (View all users posts) 01 Mar 2012 10:14pm ()

If you buy the projector connection for the iPad then you can do things like use the camera to look at journals etc on projector instantly.  I used the camera today to show the class particular chns sketch work to hone in on certain features of the artwork . Works a treat.

• Josie Woon (View all users posts) 01 Mar 2012 11:00pm ()

The blogger app is not on the iPad though can only get the iPhone one which makesscreen not very clear, so would I blog from here or just use it to send photos and videos through?

• Tania (View all users posts) 02 Mar 2012 8:29am ()

Hi Josie,

You don't necessary need a blogger app - once you have set up email for your blogger you can simply email straight from iPad/iPod touch or iPhone to your blog.Kiss

• Tara Fagan (View all users posts) 04 Mar 2012 12:57pm ()

Hi Josie

The Blogpress app works on the Ipad so you can use that to access your blog account.  There is a cost for the Blogpress app though.

Tara 

• Josie Woon (View all users posts) 04 Mar 2012 2:15pm ()

Thanks Tara Ill have a look.

Also need some suggestions.  I have 2 boys that are very low in numeracy.  I would work with them and send them away to follow up with the same activity but these 2 cannot work independently, so was thinking they could take an ipad each anad do activities on this.

Does anyone use some numeracy apps that dont jump up levels so quick.  these 2 are just recognises numbers and doing basic addition and a lot of apps go from 2+3 to 11 + 12 too quick.  Also I have an autistic boy that I supervise that always seems to delete an app each session.  NOW i synchronised my iphone last night and couldnt get the apps across and then found apps wouldnt work luckily most of them needed updating and this got them working.  So im a bit nervous about plugging ipads in to retrieve the lost apps.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

• Allanah King (View all users posts) 04 Mar 2012 2:36pm ()

You need to go into restrictions and turn off deleting apps. I have sritten how to do that in this blog post.

http://allanahk.edublogs.org/2011/08/18/children-taking-ios-devices-home/

Also here are my favourite maths apps

https://sites.google.com/site/initialipadsetup/maths

• Josie Woon (View all users posts) 09 Mar 2012 9:53pm ()

Ok I've got a blogger app all up and running, can I post video and photos from the iPad straight to it? If so can someone tell me how? Thanks and thanks for advice about the apps all restrictions are now on lol

• Steven Wills (View all users posts) 10 Mar 2012 8:26am ()

There is an official blogger app (assuming that is what you are using) but it is only available for the iphone at this stage. There are a number of other blog apps for the ipad. The image below shows what they're capable of and this link talks about them in more detail. Hope this helps.

• Allanah King (View all users posts) 10 Mar 2012 6:18pm ()

I have found that all the apps that say they work on an iPhone also work on an iPad- you just have to tap on the x2 to make them bigger on the iPad. Sweet.

Join this group to contribute to discussions.