Search

What happens to a cluster webspace once the ICTPD contract ends?

• Public
Started by Jeanette Hinerangi Eruera Murphy 06 Dec 2011 3:38pm () Replies (14)

Kia Ora Koutou.  I am the Facilitator for PeaK-ICT and our online resource space was set up before we joined the VLN.  Lately I have been thinking about sustainability post our contract (that ends this year) and...where to from here?  What really does happen to a cluster webspace once the ICTPD contract ends?  Should we be thinking about uploading the BEST of three years of work to the VLN?

Please share your thoughts.  Creative ideas most welcomeEmbarassed

Replies

• Paula Jamieson (View all users posts) 06 Dec 2011 6:40pm ()

Hi Jeanette,

Our Lead teachers have just had this very discussion. Especially since each cluster i work with has an individual wiki and then we have a 'shared' space which as facilitator I have 'overseen'. We have decided that after our clusters finish at the end of next year, each school will be provided with acces to our shared space and it is hoped that Leads (and or Principals) will continue to add to these online environments.

In actualality I doubt that this will happen. I know that there are good intentions but from my past experience (after finishing another contract), it was difficult enough for the schools to continue any form of collaboration and maintaining this space did not appear to be high on their priority list. Unfortunately if there is not a 'central' person/s with the passion and desire to keep the 'pot bubbling' it doesn't happen.

Would love to hear what you decide to do.

Cheers

Paula

• Jeanette Hinerangi Eruera Murphy (View all users posts) 06 Dec 2011 8:07pm ()

Tena koe Paula

Thank you for your contribution.  I do like the idea of a shared space that one would hope be maintained on a regular basis by Leads or Principals.  Your cluster has at least one more year to 'work on making a process of that nature happen' and that's great.

I also know the amount of time and energy that you, like many other Facilitators have spent uploading information to your cluster wiki.  It just seems a shame that cluster resource pages should post contract and without that central person become, for want of a better word 'stagnant'.

Any other bright ideas out there VLN peeps????

• Annemarie Hyde (View all users posts) 06 Dec 2011 9:44pm ()

Hi Jeanette -

Some of these spaces stay as resources I believe, because they are full of good stuff.  I still refer to Lorraine's RELLCO wiki because I know that the resources are good and also Lyn's eBest wiki; until the tools and ideas they highlight are superceded of course.

They will remain as links on spaces like the VLN or on school intranets like my own. Some will be added to by keen organisers.

The reality is that many of them are not visited by the people they were created for in the first place, as the majority of our teachers are still not "e" yet!

• Paula Jamieson (View all users posts) 06 Dec 2011 10:14pm ()

Great point Annemarie,

In all fairness I do revisit several exited Cluster Wiki's. So maybe (hopefully) there are other teachers, not just facilitators and organisors doing the same. Maybe it would be a good idea to start an archive style 'Directory' within the VLN. I'm not sure where the best place to put this within the VLN might be but I'll start putting a word document together with lots of links and at the least upload it to the resources area for now (with lots of 'tags' - I'm learning just how important these are thanks to Tessa).

• Allanah King (View all users posts) 06 Dec 2011 10:18pm ()

I have been trying to capture some of the best blog posts of the year and give people an idea of what others are blogging about.

https://sites.google.com/site/linklearningexemplars/

But I, like you, think sustainability still needs some one to drive it, to care for it and nurture it.

• Paula Jamieson (View all users posts) 06 Dec 2011 10:24pm ()

Hi Allanah,

Hey this is a great resource, wonderful to see one of our Rotorua Schools featured too Smile

This style is what 'we' could do with cluster wikis. I haven't had the chance to experiment with 'google sites' yet so maybe this is where I should venture over the holidays. 

I will feature your blog post site in our December monthly Cluster Noticeboard (which goes out to over 250 teachers). Love this 'just in time learning'.

Cheers

Paula

• Allanah King (View all users posts) 06 Dec 2011 10:38pm ()

I am keen to add to it with posts from all over so feel free to invite them to share their own favourite posts and email to allanah.king@gmail.com and I will add their posts to the resource. 

• Annemarie Hyde (View all users posts) 06 Dec 2011 10:27pm ()

Maybe we just upload them as Resources (under Tools) with the tag "clusterwiki" and others such as "blogs", wikis" and such like.  Or we could make them their own group called "Cluster Wikis" or - er, em - "Retired But ReTried and True" ??? Smile

• Jeanette Hinerangi Eruera Murphy (View all users posts) 07 Dec 2011 9:21am ()

Morena all.  Some very thoughtful discussion going on night owlsEmbarassed 

@Anniemarie - Like you, I too refer often to the wikis of clusters that have exited and you make a very valid point about linking back and often to these. 

@Paula -  Starting an archive style 'Directory' within the VLN sounds promising.  I will certainly follow and learn from you there.

@Allanah - Love the idea of capturing best blog posts of the year and have shared this link with my fellow e-buddies.

@Anniemarie - An instant solutionEmbarassed 

Looking back over my 31 Day Challenge completed via Edublogs in 2009 I am checking to see if some of the ideas around keeping a 'blog/wiki alive' may be of use here. More to come on that one... 

On a personal note...like many 'others out there' I know that my digital footprint has become 'somewhat scattered' over the years and so thanks to the wiki created by Suzie and Rocky, I have set up a registered teacher weebly along the criteria lines that includes my own examples (work in progress still).  However I am now rethinking that perhaps I should be including the information as a personal resource here in the VLN.

Back to our patai....What  happens to a cluster webspace once the ICTPD contract ends?  Any more ideas out there???

• Tessa Gray (View all users posts) 08 Dec 2011 12:35pm ()

Hi all, sorry I’ve turned up late for the conversation! Some relevant considerations here for ICT PD clusters, as they move towards sustainability after the contract.

I’m seeing a couple of threads emerging

1. How we can organize our digital ‘stuff’ – web portal, webpage, collaborative space, RSS feeds, bookmarks 
    2. Archiving cluster resources after the ICT PD contact ends

The VLN can help organize our professional life online (VLN dashboard), while at the same time connecting us to everyone else’s gems. The power of this network is that is goes one-step further to help provide a centralized space in which to share it all.

So, while we might find ways to sustain our own cluster spaces (great ideas thanks Paula), we can also stay connected via the VLN groups space. It doesn’t necessarily mean we need a group of our own to do this. There's more value in people connecting with groups that generate the most interest through common trends and needs like the Enabling e-Learning hub (groups within that), Software for Learning, as well groups like the iPad user groupePortfolios and Home school partnerships.

If you do have a group coming to end of the ICT PD contract, then we're advising not to close these, rather to change the access to 'View only'. In terms of other legacy sites that remain online (well after they were set up), have faith, these still get accessed. I have tapped into each of your cluster resources this year, as well as the legacy ICT PD Online and will continue to do so.

Having a centralized space to access these in a co-ordinated, simple way is the key. Thanks for your ideas on ways to do this everyone.

Links to other educator sites include:

NZ Edubloggers Wiki

Wikispaces for education

Cluster Links area in ICT PD Online

• Jo (View all users posts) 08 Dec 2011 1:55pm ()

Our cluster is looking at continuing to use this space as our new portal (the old one was a wiki).  Why not continue? We are continuing cluster shares, principal meetings, lead teacher days (with a link to another learning area - identified by the intermediate we feed into)...  ICT isn't the focus now but those tools that have become familiar are embedded in teachers pedagogy and we are using ICT to learn.  Isn't that the whole point?

• Tessa Gray (View all users posts) 12 Dec 2011 3:36pm ()

Good points Jo - for yourself and your cluster (as a group). The connections you can make with other like-minded educators can be found across the VLN community groups. This then becomes your social/professional learning network beyond the ICT PD project.

I'm certain the recent activity in the Teaching community and Leadership community groups would be of interest to most educators - in and out of a cluster.

Don't forget to bookmark items of interest, RSS feed interesting pages, friend like-minded people and make groups your favourites. All the while streaming this into your VLN dashboard. For more on how to manage this, go to Getting started on the VLN.

• Enabling e-Learning (View all users posts) 12 Dec 2011 9:30pm ()

A fascinating discussion, which I guess is as much about sustaining professional learning as it is about keeping a space alive online.

To keep a space thriving (if it was thriving before;-) it needs to be part of a shared sense of group practice. If it's just down to one person, it's not really an online community space that looks into practice.

So, I wonder if the question is: to what extent does a teaching team want to keep on working together to sustain the way they have been inquiring and exploring?  And if they do, how can the online space complement and extend the face-to-face reflection and connection?

Join this group to contribute to discussions.