Search

Digital storytelling in schools and kura: What's the point?

• Public
Started by Enabling e-Learning 22 Nov 2011 8:19am () Replies (4)

Do you use digital storytelling with your students?

Digital storytelling is the capturing of your life experience, stories, feelings and ideas using digital media and narrative. There's a nice introduction to how it can be used in education here, from the Conference on Digital Storytelling:  http://digitalstorytelling.coe.uh.edu/

A recent addition to the CORE Education EdTalks site is this video from Liz Stevenson, from the National Blended e-Learning Team/ICT-PD. Liz talks about about working with kura and their communities as part of the blended e-Learning programme. Liz is particularly excited about the use of digital storytelling to bring together a network of learners and supporters. 

So, how do use use digital storytelling in school - or how would you like to use it?

Replies

• Diane Henderson (View all users posts) 22 Nov 2011 12:16pm ()

I have just been working with Junior students from Tautoro School in the Far North, creating digital stories for pet day, using PhotoStory3.  The students each took the camera home for one night and photographed themselves working with and caring for their animal.  They drafted a storyboard and then completed their digital stories.  They are fantastic, because they have had so much input.

Also, I followed the original link to the above video, and came across this link - be great to share at a staff meeting to get teachers on board.  It is from the Center for Digital Storytelling site.

http://www.storycenter.org/index1.html

Diane Henderson

• Enabling e-Learning (View all users posts) 25 Nov 2011 9:55am ()

Thanks for sharing your story, Diane, and for sharing the link. Why do you think digital storytelling seems so powerful, and has so much impact on students' learning?

• liz Stevenson (View all users posts) 25 Nov 2011 10:11am ()

Diane - I can relate well to your enthusiasm for PhotoStory3. Seeing clips of pre school students creating stunning stories from photos they had taken themselves (at last year's L@S conference) was a real highlight of the conference for me. Jason Ohler has some good resources to share too.

Join this group to contribute to discussions.