Search

Are You Using the VLN for your teachers' relections on their learning?

• Public
Started by Annemarie Hyde 16 Nov 2011 12:01am () Replies (4)

I've been exploring all the tools in my cluster group area: creating photo albums, finding out what the difference is between a page and a resource, looking at the widgets...

I've also been thinking about reflective journals...what tools to use with teachers to reflect on their personal elearning journeys.  I've thought about Wordpress, Blogger, wikis, myPortfolio...then CLICK!...why not use the blogs attached to our profiles?  Here we have a neat little page where we can add photo albums and other widgets.  We can limit the access and get access to lots of learning RIGHT HERE! Lightbulb moment!

Is anyone using the VLN for this purpose?

Replies

• Enabling e-Learning (View all users posts) 18 Nov 2011 1:28pm ()

A great idea, Annemarie. There are certainly community folk who have posted reflections at one time or another using their VLN blogging tool - and I'd be really keen to profile and mentor people who want to undertake and share e-learning inquiries next year. You keen? Go on....I dare you!

• Nick Rate (View all users posts) 18 Nov 2011 2:19pm ()

Hi Annemarie,

A couple of my current clusters are using the VLN in a similar way for their ongoing reflections and evidence gathering. At this stage they are not doing this in their personal space but in the cluster group or sub group blog. It is early days yet for them and the outcomes are really positive in terms of sharing practice and reflecting on the impact of their teaching and next steps.

One cluster has created sub groups for each of the national goals to record reflections and another uses one blog and tags each entry against the national goals.

Using the VLN for a personal reflective blog sounds great too and the benefits of creating it within an existing online community that you can draw from in terms of expertise for feedback and mentoring is a pretty exciting concept. Many are doing this within MyPortfolio or within their Google Sites as part of Google Apps for Education and I see no reason why the VLN couldn't also perform similarly.

I look forward to seeing how you move forward in developing these spaces as I am always on the look out for great examples online reflective journal/eportfolio'ish practice.

• Enabling e-Learning (View all users posts) 18 Nov 2011 2:37pm ()

Here's a useful video from Allanah King, one of our fabulously active community members, who makes a strong case for educators to share their learning online, just as we've been talking about in this thread...

Source:  CORE Education EdTalks http://edtalks.org/video/share-it

Join this group to contribute to discussions.