Search

videos

• Public
Started by Chris Jager 15 Nov 2011 5:11pm () Replies (5)

My question relates to embedding vs uploading video. I understand that if the video is already being streamed from somewhere then it is possible to embed it in a resource. If however the video I want to share is a file then I am guessing that I need to upload it rather than embed it?!?

If this is the case are there any guidelines around optimum file size/ file formats? The schools in a cluster I am working with are each developing a digital story to share via the VLN as part of milestone reporting. I know that an LMS such as Ultranet limits the size of videos that can be uploaded (to <30MB I think). One of the schools has produced a 236 MB video. I am looking for guidance on how to proceed on this one.

Thanks

Replies

• Glen (View all users posts) 15 Nov 2011 6:05pm ()

Hi Chris

Currently the VLN file size limit is < 10MB I think. The best option would be to upload the videos to a video sharing site like youtube or vimeo and then embed them in the VLN. We will be looking at some easier options for sharing video on the VLN in the new year hopefully.

Glen

• Chris Jager (View all users posts) 02 Dec 2011 7:40am ()

Thanks Glen - will explore Vimeo - subsequently I have been asked a similar question by a cluster which is apprehensive about uploading video anywhere where access is open & public?!? Any views?

• Pascale Hyboud-Peron (View all users posts) 02 Dec 2011 7:45am ()

Hi Chris
    I recently had a look in more details at Vimeo which has a range of options re. privacy. There is a quick summary under "an example with Vimeo" (right columm) at this link

PascaleHP

• Liz Fitzsimons (View all users posts) 23 Nov 2011 4:52pm ()

Further to the video discussion. I notice that schooltube is not one of the possible allowed embeds. One of the schools in our cluster is using Schooltube for embedding videos onto their Spike@School site. They have a video they would like to post onto the VLN. Is it possible? The video is approximately 300MB. I have the embedded code. It seems to upload okay and then when I press save it disappears.

Thanks

Join this group to contribute to discussions.

Help

Help

This group is a place to find or request help in the VLN.