Search

Game-based learning: Are you playing?

• Public
Started by Enabling e-Learning 02 Nov 2011 12:19pm () Replies (16)

There have been some really interesting threads running in the English Online listservs which I thought I'd share here:

Does anyone else here use gaming - or gaming principles - in this way, to support learning?

Replies

• mary jamieson (View all users posts) 10 Sep 2013 9:45pm ()

Having a 10 year old who loves my ipad, I can relate to your dilemma Tessa.  First of all we have to remember that they are children and that play is how they make sense of the world and learn their place in it. We have a clear expectation for using the iPad for homework.  We use spelling test for word lists to learn and mathletics and other maths apps for basic fact review and practice.  Then there is playtime.  Recently our daughter has shown an interest in learning French. Not sure where this came from but we now have several apps which she is trialling to teach herself French.  She can see how the tool(iPad) can help her learn something new.  I have also found that she only plays with a select few apps.  She is becoming more discerning and critical of apps. This is a good thing and I believe part of the process of becoming digitally literate.

Join this group to contribute to discussions.