Search

Game-based learning: Are you playing?

• Public
Started by Enabling e-Learning 02 Nov 2011 12:19pm () Replies (16)

There have been some really interesting threads running in the English Online listservs which I thought I'd share here:

Does anyone else here use gaming - or gaming principles - in this way, to support learning?

Replies

• Monika Kern (View all users posts) 10 Sep 2013 9:16pm ()

Hi Tessa,

This does sound like my house lol. But more seriously, I can see huge benefit it incorporating suitable creative games into teaching and learning. Students can practise many or even all of the KCs in a context that they are already familiar with or a context they are engaging with: Thinking, using language, symbols and text (coding / programming is a whole new language on top of written or verbal language, managing self, relating to others, participating and contributing (multi-player games).

I keep on going back to my Playcentre example, we used to take books, paints etc. to the sand pit and therefore engaged the boys that spent all session out there in different activities. Rather than fight the children's interest in games, lets make us of it as the sandpit to which we take the different activities they might be reluctant to engage with.

On top of that, some of the games will allow the students go way beyond what they could reasonably do "in the real world" and still take action - in my opinion the most relevant and satisfying step in any inquiry process.

Cheers, Monika

Join this group to contribute to discussions.