Search

Game-based learning: Are you playing?

• Public
Started by Enabling e-Learning 02 Nov 2011 12:19pm () Replies (16)

There have been some really interesting threads running in the English Online listservs which I thought I'd share here:

Does anyone else here use gaming - or gaming principles - in this way, to support learning?

Replies

• Hamish Chalmers (View all users posts) 02 Dec 2011 12:14pm ()

A colleague and I are developing a gamification (using game-stuff/concepts for sneaky educational purposes) of English skills tracking through a web-based front-end XP bar! It's a plan for the end of term and we'll see how far our sketchy programming skills get us.

We're planning on giving students the ability to track their English progress in an XP bar - they'll be able to earn XP from assessments and small demonstrations of skills and process mastery, compare their progress with other students and level up to English awesomeness! 

For a bit more on games, Claire Amos tracked down this sweet TED talk where Gabe Zichermann talks about gamification and an awesome digital tree in the dashboard of the new Toyota Prius which grows when you drive in an environmentally nice manner and dies when you don't. Loving it! We're getting all amped thinking about other gamification possibilities...

• Hamish Chalmers (View all users posts) 07 Dec 2011 5:55pm ()

Awesome, thanks Peter. We'll hopefully be getting started on this next week. Will let you know once we've got our job list drawn up. Still just trying to figure exactly what we're going to use. Might have to steer clear of flash for the time being as that'll block out the Apple students...

• Hamish Chalmers (View all users posts) 12 Dec 2011 1:59pm ()

Thanks for those links Marielle! Not to mention the awesome javascript. We'd planned to go browser-based for this so that will be handy. I'd always thought Iphones couldn't do flash?

Join this group to contribute to discussions.