Search

Configuring / Setting up large numbers of iPads?

• Public
Started by Carol Kendall 30 Oct 2011 5:16pm () Replies (7)

In the holidays I set up 10 iPads. It took a long time to configure each of the settings in the various areas on each of the iPads, set up internet/wireless, email accounts, webDAV, iCloud, and the apps that had their own settings, etc etc etc. On Friday someone at YooBee alerted me to the iPhone Configuration Utility 3.3 for Mac OS X, saying that I might find this useful in setting up large numbers of iPads.

Has anyone here used this? Or what do you use to make this job easier with all the settings that need to be configured?

Thanks!

Carol

Replies

• Matthew Thomas (View all users posts) 30 Oct 2011 7:33pm ()

Hi Carol -

Yes, iPhone Configuration Utility is great for this job.  It has quite a few things you can set, my favorite is setting up bookmark home screen icons.  However, you do need to have the iPads plugged in to transfer the settings.

Another option is to setup Mobile Device Management on a Lion Server (which took a loooooooong time to do this holidays, mainly because we didn't know what we were doing, and learning on the go!), and then you have all the tools of iPhone Configuration Utility but nothing needs to be plugged in.  In the future you can update the settings on each iPad without collecting them all in.

I set up 25 iPads in the term break, and having MDM on Lion Server was brilliant.  The Configuration Utility is a good choice if you want a simple setup, but you have to live with the cables.

• Carol Kendall (View all users posts) 30 Oct 2011 7:57pm ()

Brilliant, thanks Matt.

In that case, I'll persevere and see if I can figure out the iPhone Configuration Utility - certainly learning on the job!

Are there still things that need to be set up individually on the devices, even with these tools? Or do they do everything?

Carol

• Peter Eaton (View all users posts) 30 Oct 2011 7:58pm ()

Admittedly it was 12months or so ago, but when I used this utility you could email the config file produced then open it up and install on the device.  Which made sense because we were distributed across multiple sites and doesn't use cables, but is really no easier than just plugging each in...  Was really good for installing wireless profiles and proxy settings etc.  I'm not sure what new settings are available relative to iOS5 though,

• Matthew Thomas (View all users posts) 30 Oct 2011 8:26pm ()

Yes, I'dforgotten you could email profiles.  Presuming email is setup on the devices already.  It depends on what settings you want whether everything could be done with the Configuration Tool or not.

• Matthew Thomas (View all users posts) 30 Oct 2011 8:26pm ()

Yes, I'dforgotten you could email profiles.  Presuming email is setup on the devices already.  It depends on what settings you want whether everything could be done with the Configuration Tool or not.

• Carol Kendall (View all users posts) 30 Oct 2011 9:08pm ()

What about settings within apps such as Pages - to configure the WebDav settings. Or the login accounts to something like iTunes or iCloud within these apps, if you wanted that?

Carol

Join this group to contribute to discussions.