Search

What are you doing in your school?

• Public
Started by Derek Wenmoth 21 Oct 2011 1:23pm () Replies (12)

What is your school's position on BYOD? Are you planning to move this way? If so, why? If not, why not? Can you provide any links to what you're doing to help others understand?

Replies

• Philip Buchanan (View all users posts) 22 Oct 2011 3:40pm ()

I see it as inevitable, and not so complicated.  Technologically I think it is relatively simple (but perhaps I need more advice?), but I think the safe management issues are more challenging. 

Right now we have the potential for anywhere access (via wireless, in our small school), and one (foreign student) enjoyed easy access to the internet with his laptop. Management of actual student use - to trend towards cyber-citizenship/learning (rather than just use of social media) would be a critical factor re expanded access.  Techie time (rather than my time) re management would have to be addressed also I think.

I would like to know how to easily setup the network/system for simple BYOD access - within our limited-time technical contract and our SchoolZone connection.

If/when I work in a NEW school ubiquitous BYOD would be a given I think - and probably up to me to lead/develop.  In our decile 1 community I think I'd have to be looking at a computers-in-homes project too - as the access at home, for whanau and learners, might be a critical capability to expand to true elearning/blended learning capability.

• Robert Douglas (View all users posts) 25 Oct 2011 8:04am ()

At Howick College we are taking a slower approach. I hope to initiate a teacher led trail next year where teachers willing to let students utilise personal devices in the classroom will be empowered to do so. I am hoping to get some research support for this so that we can more accurately determine the outcomes and issues, which can then be used to inform the wider school community.

• Jen Bates (View all users posts) 27 Oct 2011 9:33pm ()

Rangitoto College is going 'BYOD' at the start of 2012, will some trials underway already in certain areas. We are at the jumping off point and I look forward to seeing how 2012 pans out with devices in our classrooms.

Students are invited to bring devices if they wish to do so. Any device that can connect to our wireless is suitable, we expect to see mostly laptops and netbooks primarily, but are also seeing tablets in our trials. We now have high speed wireless in place covering the campus with 130 wireless access points.

Like Orewa, our LMS will be a central source of information and a starting point for device users to access resources. We are encouraging the use of Google Apps and Mahara My Portfolio as useful tools for staff and students (these will be one of our foci in 2012 PD).

We have a PD programme in place that is aiming to introduce all staff to the concept and help them prepare for a partially integrated classroom, which is what we expect to begin with. A full PD programme on the 'e-learning classroom' is available to staff now and into 2012. A rubric is in place to help staff reflect on their practice.

For more info on what Rangi is doing, please see the Rangitoto PD Group where you can download our 'Going Digital' booklet for more information on our BYOD plans and infrastructure.

/pg/groups/159469/rangitoto-college-elearning-professional-development/

• Kevin Prince (View all users posts) 09 Nov 2011 10:29am ()

Good to see that this is starting to happen. My main interaction has been with students who are blind and partially-sighted. In the past this has meant that some IT departments would not let their personal devices connect as they were non-standard. I'm hoping to see the gradual acceptance of BYOD improve this scenario but am also wary that there needs to be an understanding of the accessibility of content out there.

• Iain Cook-Bonney (View all users posts) 30 Nov 2011 2:32pm ()

Hi, we are looking at implementing BYOD at Tahuna Normal Intermediate here in Dunedin next year. Currently we are investigating upgrading our wireless network with the view to install a system that would support this. We have investigated the Ubiquiti and Ruckus systems, but have heard that Aruba networks support BYOD very well.

What are your schools using and how is it panning out for you?

• Claire Amos (View all users posts) 09 Dec 2011 6:18am ()

Hi there,

At Epsom Girls Grammar School we have allowed students to bring their own device for the past year, we have considered this our 'soft launch' of BYOD. In preparation for 2012 we have been more declarative and have formally invited students to BYOD. This has been accompanied by the publication of our EGGS Online document.

/pg/resources/claireamos/read/117811/eggs-online-elearning-at-epsom-girls-grammar-school

We encourage students to bring any internet capable devices although have recently removed iPads from our recommended list as our school has subscribed to an online Maths site which unfortunately is flash dependent, as soon as they get an app sorted to deal with this we will reinstate iPads as we are keen to give the students as much freedom and choice as possible. Also as a school who embraces Google Apps, iPads can be a little problematic here too, it works...but not very well.

In terms of getting students going, I have been working on a student resource that encourages them to take the lead. You can check it out here:

http://www.teachingandelearning.com/2011/12/10-tips-for-making-most-of-byod-and.html

Or (even better) if you would like to contribute to an ongoing collaborative version of the handout, here is a Google Docs version (feel free to edit, add and comment!):

https://docs.google.com/a/staff.eggs.school.nz/document/d/1wmwZJLa8v-31pl9E1C2rlxflhxjkMfXIOFDog_dmNEc/edit?hl=en_US&pli=1

Cheers

Claire

• Iain Cook-Bonney (View all users posts) 09 Dec 2011 9:54am ()

Hi Claire,

Thanks for sharing! We are looking at inplementing BYOD at Tahuna Normal Intermediate here in Dunedin. Lots of research going on, and plans being made, so it was great to read your post. I especially liked your brochure for parents. Would you be happy for us to use parts of it for our information pack?

• Claire Amos (View all users posts) 09 Dec 2011 7:15pm ()

Absolutely fine, I have included a MS word copy (accessible via the link) to make it easier for people to copy and edit etc.

Cheers

Claire

• Kevin Prince (View all users posts) 20 Dec 2011 3:15pm ()

Hi Claire,

Interesting - time for Flash to die (at last). How are you finding Google docs for those students who require keyboard access rather than touch/mouse?

• Claire Amos (View all users posts) 16 Mar 2012 10:01am ()

Just to add to my earlier reply...

This may be of interest to any school considering BYOD, it is the presentation we just delivered to our PTA about reasons for adopting BYOD at EGGS, I have also attached the 10 tips I refer to in the presentation.

BYOD PTA Presentation

10 tips for students making the most of BYOD

Feel free to ignore, share, use as you see fit.

Cheers

Claire

Claire Amos

Director of e-learning

Epsom Girls Grammar School

T +64 9 9706 821

Blog: www.teachingandelearning.com

• Kevin Prince (View all users posts) 23 Mar 2012 9:04am ()

BYOD is hugely important for all as long as it genuinely BYOD not BYOIPAD. Blind and Low vision students have had to bring devices for years and faced opposition from IT departments to connection. It will be good to see that block broken. On the flipside insistence on, or ignorance of the effects of, inaccessible appllications has the probability of creating a new divide. Have a look at this presentation on the lack of universal design (note I'm not just interested in blindness - your dyslexic students using read write gold are affected too) in Google Docs (Office 365 is similar at the moment). The slides here are well worth reading

http://easi.cc/archive/google2012/resources.htm the results there show that even users with just high contrast settings found most functions unavailable and Dragon users had effectively no access. We should be teaching and using IT following best practice not creating divisions.

(edited for spelling and poor keyboard skills)

Join this group to contribute to discussions.