Search

AirPlay Mirroring for iPad2

• Public
Started by Matthew Thomas 11 Oct 2011 9:01pm () Replies (29)

Haven't seen anything here about Screen Mirroring of iPads with an AppleTV using iOS5. It's awesome!  Check the link here for more -->

http://www.apple.com/ipad/features/airplay.html

We are going to get an Apple TV into every classroom and use an HDMI to VGA convertor to connect them to our class projectors.  Then we have wireless iPad screen sharing to our class projectors.  Awesome!

Anyone else planning to do this or have tried it out?

Replies

• Matthew Thomas (View all users posts) 11 Oct 2011 10:01pm ()

Yes, I'd love to put LCD screens or HDMI projectors in our classrooms, but we'll stick with our current projectors for now.  This will be huge in schools.Laughing

• Matthew Thomas (View all users posts) 28 Oct 2011 11:50am ()

We purchased HDMI converters from both JayCar and Noel Leemings, and they both work fine.  they are powered converter boxes.  I'm just making a wee setup to test in classrooms. 

• Matthew Thomas (View all users posts) 16 Nov 2011 4:05pm ()

Hi Mohi -

You are able to rename the Apple TV to a name that makes sense (such as Room 21), and then you can also password protect the Apple TV.  Then only those students you want sharing to your Apple TV get the password, so you dont have random things popping up on your screen all the time!

We have five Apple TVs setup like this in our school at the moment, and it works a treat.  We will eventually go to one in every class (22 classes), and don't see any problems with it, as long as the ATVs are named and have a password.

Its also worth setting up your Apple TV so that it doesn't show the options to browse youtube, movie trailers, vimeo, etc while you are not screen mirroring.  I have also turned off the screen saver so that the Apple TV does not use up unneccesary bandwidth at school.

• Matthew Thomas (View all users posts) 21 Nov 2011 8:45pm ()

Hi Andy -

You're right, the 4:3 display on the iPad does mean that anytime you use airplay, you will have nice black bars on the tv screen.  The other option I suppose would be for Apple to stretch the image out so it fills the whole TV, but that would make everything very out of proportion, so I'm glad they didn't do that.

But no, you havent missed anything obvious.

• Matthew Thomas (View all users posts) 12 Mar 2012 9:02pm ()

Agreed Marcus, Reflection app is awesome for schools on a strict budget, but Apple TV is the ultimate way to go.  Interesting to note that the next operating system for Mac (10.8) allows you to mirror your Mac screen wirelessly to an Apple TV as well.  No more dongles!

Join this group to contribute to discussions.