Search

Managing ipads

• Public
Started by Jasmine Rolton 11 Oct 2011 7:48pm () Replies (89)

We have bought eight ipads for our four senior classrooms.  At the moment the IT person in the school has the itunes account and password.  So this limits teachers from taking ownership of their 2 ipads within the classroom.  How are other schools managing their ipads passwords, itunes accounts etc?

Replies

• Karen Mills (View all users posts) 11 Oct 2011 7:59pm ()

We are going to have 8 pods of 8 iPads next year. You will probably find that while having 2 in a room is OK having a pod of 8 is more beneficial.  We think 8 is the magic number as most teachers have 8 in a group thus being able to use them as part of their literacy or numeracy rotations. As long as the IT person is not controlling what Apps I would keep it like it is. It is just one extra job for teachers and an added expense if they are all wanting to download separate Apps on separate iTunes accounts.

• Iona Rait (View all users posts) 11 Oct 2011 8:00pm ()

We have the same amount of iPads, but spread two per team.  We have the same set up with the synching apps etc.  But you can synch your iTunes separately.  

I agree that having someone else in control of it limits your ownership and how you use it.  I had integrated it into my classroom with what I wanted on it, then it was resynched and it lessened my enthusiasm.  I didn't see the point in using something and putting time into something for it to be taken away.  Surely one class using it to its full potential is greater than it being used in a pod- like the old computer lab system we all used to have.  

A school needs to have a transparent and fair system for using cool tools such as these otherwise people feel left out.  A teacher should be able to use these devices like their own laptop.

I'm keen to get an Samsung Galaxy Note for the classroom.  It seems to have more interoperability with documents and other great features.

• Matthew Thomas (View all users posts) 11 Oct 2011 8:32pm ()

And that is exactly what we are about to do Iona.  We are supplying all 22 of our teachers with their own iPad device next term to be used in class as a teaching and learning tool.  We figure that the TELA laptop is some of the best PD for teachers in terms of ICT in education, so think its a good start with iPads.  We have built in lots of PD around iPads and learning for next term and next year.

Next year we are going to deploy three more iPads into every classroom.  We are keeping the configuration of iPads synced to one machine, and are not giving teachers access to the iTunes accounts at this stage.  We are going to set up a group of staff (one from each syndicate) to evaluate apps that have been recommended by other teachers.  

• Iona Rait (View all users posts) 11 Oct 2011 8:40pm ()

Oh that's great!  There needs to be elements of discovery with new items before settling on how people are going to use them.  I don't think one way is the right way, there should be different opportunities for use.   

If you've got an LMS running or blogs its important to think about how you view sites on these too.  

i.

• Matthew Thomas (View all users posts) 11 Oct 2011 8:46pm ()

Yup, we are using a self hosted WordPress for blogging, and don't have a LMS!  We do use we hosted Assembly for student management.  We have a WebDAV (or will do by the end of the break!) for file management, and Printopia for the few times people will need to print.

• Allanah King (View all users posts) 11 Oct 2011 8:20pm ()

It seems odd to me that people are prepared to spend $8000 buying iPads but are not keen on supporting the purchase of powerful learning apps. I only have one iPad for me to experiment with but if I were in charge I would have all eight iPads initially synching to one computer for it's initial build of apps- maybe a set of the ones that have been recommended here- plus the Apple set of Pages, Keynote, Garageband.

I would then set each iPad to download any apps on all the iPads at once- so if a teaccher downloads an app on one device then it automatically downloads on the the other seven devices at once. So all the teachers get to share the choices of the other.

I would then give the teachers a budget for buying apps with the proviso that they keep a running tally of their purchases.

Do you think that would work?

• Matthew Thomas (View all users posts) 11 Oct 2011 8:26pm ()

That would work Allanah if you want to be technically illegal.  Very hard to do it any other way however until we get Volume Licensing.  The danger I see with this is that your iPads will fill up rubbish apps, because lets face it, of the 400,000 iPad apps available, 350,000 of them are rubbish.  If a teacher downloads an app and then discovers it isn't any good, they can delete it off their iPad, but will that automatically delete it off all of the others?  And if it does, what happens if a teacher accidentally deletes an app that is wanted on other iPads?

• Iona Rait (View all users posts) 11 Oct 2011 8:46pm ()

There are a lot of rubbish apps, I agree.  But you don't know that unless you have a play.  That's basically what I did for the first month.  But teachers need the freedom to explore and trial apps.  Teachers use different tools in different ways, so they need to use these in the same way.

I don't think you can upload from one iPad to iTunes then onto other iPads.  We've tried it and it doesn't seem to work.  You can delete apps from an individual ipads, but to delete it off all the iPads you need to resynch them from the iTunes on your lead teacher's pc.

• Matthew Thomas (View all users posts) 11 Oct 2011 8:49pm ()

You can now!  Allanah has written about it somewhere on here.  And it's even easier with iOS5, which is awesome!

• Allanah King (View all users posts) 11 Oct 2011 8:52pm ()

Try going SETTINGS- STORE- And make sure 'Automatically download new purchases (including free) made on other devices' is on.

• Iona Rait (View all users posts) 11 Oct 2011 8:57pm ()

Good stuff.  I'm not in charge of that part so I guess the guy that does it has worked it out perhaps!  Smile What do you all personally use in your teaching and assessment? Any devices?  I would love to have something that could not just help learning but also our teacher prep and efficiency.

• Allanah King (View all users posts) 11 Oct 2011 8:35pm ()

I thought that you are allowed to synch to ten iPads from the one account. Seeing that they have only eight I thought they would be fine. It will be in the fine print of the iTunes agreement.

People will buy some rubbish apps but that's why people need to buy apps that others think are useful and if they come across new ones they could share them here so we all get to know about them.

I Would set the iPad so that kids can't delete apps inadvertantly. Only teachers with the passcode would be able to delete- good practice anyway.

• Matthew Thomas (View all users posts) 11 Oct 2011 8:39pm ()

Nope, the fine print says that iPad use other than personal use, is one app for one device.  That is - every iPad legally needs to have its own iTunes account.  Until Volume Licensing this is a hideous solution.  One more reason to use free apps (and stay legal).

• iDave (View all users posts) 11 Oct 2011 10:07pm ()

If you are interested in the current legal app situation (see link at end)

There are actually different sharing limitations for different uses.   (there is also some 'rules' around 5 registered devices per account)

Educational use is supposed to be an app per device.  There is some provision for USA Ed institutes to allow volume licensing - but no joy else where - so what many schools are doing
    is carrying on as if they are individual users (while they can get away with it -  with free apps anyway....)

At the moment (as far as I know) Apple do not track this  (syncing apps is no problem to multiple devices)

(iOS 5 may change that as every device will be able to wirelessly connect to the iTunes store - and will have to have their own account but I imagine (and hope!) users can still
     sync to multiple devices from iTunes)

If you want to read further about all this then here is a link that clarifies everything - but  a bit of reading!!  https://support.assistiveware.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=50
  • Matthew Thomas (View all users posts) 11 Oct 2011 10:15pm ()

Yes, until we get Volume Licensing, we are stuck between a rock and aheard place.  The only thing that makes me feel a bit better is that US educators used to be in the same space as we are now.  We'll have to get the volume licensing, eventually.

• Peter Eaton (View all users posts) 11 Oct 2011 8:54pm ()

The whole sync arrangement changes TOMORROW with the release of ios5.

Ipads will sync over wireless when they are plugged in to be charged.  In fact, with iCloud you don't even need to sync them to a computer, it all just goes to/from apple and your apple account.

In light of this I suggest we revisit some of these discussions again in a day or two, as the game is changing!

• Iona Rait (View all users posts) 11 Oct 2011 8:58pm ()

That sounds awesome Peter!

• Matthew Thomas (View all users posts) 11 Oct 2011 9:08pm ()

Yes, iOS5 and iCloud will change everything.  I've been using the betas, and it is an awesome OS. I am concerned about the amount of wireless syncing that will happen in schools (my iPad racked up 80GB of data from wireless syncing using the betas!), and how much bandwidth we will use if all devices have their own iCloud accounts and are uploading data constantly.

Time will tell.

• Melinda Bennett (View all users posts) 11 Oct 2011 8:55pm ()

Our yr 7-8 students ( a group of 6) have had 1:1 iPads this year. The rest of the school is 1:2 iPods. There're are also a reasonably large group of students that have parent provided devices.
    I think it essential that the teacher has control of what apps to purchase. Staff have become more and more discerning in purchasing apps. We look forward to volume purchasing but In the meantime the teacher syncs device to their laptop. Students now are starting to take control of managing the apps that they need, we encourage the chn to delete apps that are not appropriate to them, and each device differs depending on the individual students needs.
    The school controls the parent provided devices as well - if it comes to school as a learning tool, we expect to control it, just like writing books and other stationery.
    Next year the seniors, yrs6-8 will be 1:1 leased iPads (25 students) school will pay half and the cost to parents will be $150 per year.
    There is huge power when each child has their own device. For schools not fortunate enough to be in our position I agree that having a set that is enough for every child in a group to work on one is a good option. Our senior readers have had great success using ebooks on the iPad as part of their English novel study programme.

• Melinda Bennett (View all users posts) 11 Oct 2011 8:58pm ()

We initially had devices set up to automatically download newly purchased apps - but it drove everyone insane!!!!!

• Iona Rait (View all users posts) 11 Oct 2011 9:01pm ()

How have schools gone about convincing BOTs to allow students' personal mobile devices to come to school?  That seems to be a hurdle for us at the moment.

• Louis Heap (View all users posts) 11 Oct 2011 9:11pm ()

Our BoT were easy to convince. The key for us was: making sure we had a robust user agreement with clear consequences for improper use; illustrating the enormous benefit to learning provided by students having their own devices (especially the use of email for learning and feedback); future-proofing our wireless system to cope with the extra load; and showing how much money we save by not having to pay for the devices ourselves.

• Melinda Bennett (View all users posts) 11 Oct 2011 9:12pm ()

This hasn't been an issue for us - but we make it clear that we control the content. Students can have apps purchased o their account at home but if they use inappropriately then we make it clear the teachers will delete apps on the spot - and they do.

• Louis Heap (View all users posts) 11 Oct 2011 9:01pm ()

I agree with Matthew - the current Apple licensing law treats each school own iPad as a separate device owned /used by separate user and therefore requires a separate copy of each app. We have iPods for all teachers and they each have their own iTunes account and are given iTunes vouchers to purchase apps (students bring their own devices so are responsible for the licensing themselves). We then use a wiki to recommend (or warn against!) apps to each other. Once a teacher has spent all of his/her voucher, they need to justify what they spent it on in order to get more cash! I have heard on the rumour mill that volume licensing is coming to NZ by Xmas - fingers crossed.

• Jasmine Rolton (View all users posts) 11 Oct 2011 9:07pm ()

Thank you for the great responses - this brick wall of passwords became  apparent to me when I was at educamp in Dunedin and realised I was unable to get apps etc.  My take home message that I took back to my Principal was to seek training for the iPads...we had training with stuartnz "Online Training" yesterday which opened up yet another layer of where to next questions.  I am liking the idea that teachers get maybe a $20 budget to buy apps and the IT and maybe myself as ICT lead teacher can load the apps.  But with the $20 they load what they would like to use themselves as another conversation with our IT was that if all iPads had the same apps they could be used as a pod.  Hence these apps should be purchased not from the classroom budget for apps.  I do want to find a way to give the teachers ownership which will hopefully light their enthusiasm to use purposefully within the daily programmes of the classroom.

Join this group to contribute to discussions.