Search

Resources for a blended approach to learning about Science.

• Public
Started by Toni Twiss 03 Oct 2011 12:19pm () Replies (11)

There are so so so many resources available online that we can use when learning about Science.  It would be great to read about what online resources are being used in different classrooms.

Replies

• Toni Twiss (View all users posts) 03 Oct 2011 12:21pm ()

The Science Learning Hub is a resource I know of that is available for schools.  I was wondering who is using it and how you are using it in your classrooms???

• Ben Laybourn (View all users posts) 26 Oct 2011 10:21pm ()

Having just attended ULearn I am thinking deeply about the blended approach with science not in terms of having material or content but the processing of ideas and experiments through different web 2 tools so that they explore the concepts behind the experiments.  for examples using mind mapping tools to look at parts process and ideas in an experiement and then using this as a starting point to teach concepts or process that have not been understood. 

Or perhaps videoing the experiement then uploading it for comments and annotations and then trying to pull the experiment down into the models or deeper understanding of the concepts that you are trying to teach.  

The challenge for school science is to shift understanding from the observable to the theortically "facts" through the process of experimentation and thinking,  and it is that experimentation or thinking that is where the power of blended learning can enhance what we do in the classroom.

• Enabling e-Learning (View all users posts) 27 Oct 2011 11:03am ()

Kia ora, Bob,

I like the way you are looking at the affordances of the technology in your post i.e. what particular advantages certain technologies offer that can support how students experience content. In other words, how tech can support the pedagogy. Having a process like this combined with rich questions (such as those you could generate using SOLO taxonomy) will be really powerful for students. It would be great if you could share an example of what you have tried:-)

Karen M

• Nick Ford (View all users posts) 19 Mar 2012 12:21pm ()

A website I like to use as a science teaching resource is 'How Stuff Works'.

What I like about this site is how science concepts and ideas are presented accurately yet simply and. I also enjoy the 'Myth versus Science' chapter. Topics in the 'Myth versus Science' (a sub chapter of the Science page) can make great topic starters.

How Stuff Works can be found at http://www.howstuffworks.com/

• Nick Ford (View all users posts) 19 Mar 2012 3:22pm ()

A useful & fun visualisation of the scale of the Universe can be found at  http://htwins.net/scale2/

How could this resource be used with learners?

• Marlene Jackson (View all users posts) 09 Jun 2012 1:02pm ()

I intend to use this fabulous site as the 'hook' with my Y9 class. we are about to start looking at technology and space exploration. I am hopeful this will give them an understanding of the enormity of space and lead to some interesting and useful discussion around why and how we explore space.

• Tania (View all users posts) 04 Sep 2012 11:06am ()

I was lucky enough to attend Slide2Learn and went to a presentation by Britt Gow.  Britt has created a slideshare presentation of apps that she uses inside and outside the classroom for science.  Well worth checking out if you have iPods or iPads within your school.

• Doug Drysdale (View all users posts) 04 Sep 2012 12:36pm ()

What a great resource.  Even though it relates to ipads the concepts can be used with android tablets as well.  Its just a matter of finding the relevant apps.  We are just exploring at the moment with a tablet.  My class all have access to netbooks or laptops so I am also trying to develop that area more.

• Tania (View all users posts) 04 Sep 2012 1:32pm ()

Hi Doug,

Would be great if you can add the android apps as you find them to this discussion thread as there will be many others interested in the appsCool.

Join this group to contribute to discussions.