Search

Using Google tools...ideas, help, questions....

• Public
Started by Enabling e-Learning 23 Sep 2011 11:35am () Replies (7)

Many of us use Google apps for all kinds of learning, our students' learning, our own sharing processes. 

Here's a useful post from Jo Fothergill's blog on how she uses Google docs to support her students' writing and editing: http://dragonsinger57.com/2011/09/10/google-docs-in-the-classroom/.

How do you use Google - and is there something that you've been wondering about...?

Replies

• Jo Wilson (View all users posts) 26 Sep 2011 6:00pm ()

Thanks for this article which again highlights the potential  google docs in the classroom. In a recent posting How might google docs help   Dave Winter  of the Connected Cluster described the  uses in a range of wordles.

I believe that the Teacher dashboard will maximise the potential of using of google docs, making it even easier for teachers and students to use.

• Claire Amos (View all users posts) 09 Dec 2011 6:02am ()

Here is a post which includes some thinking about how students might use various Google apps in a BYOD environment and to make the most of working online 

http://www.teachingandelearning.com/2011/12/10-tips-for-making-most-of-byod-and.html

In terms of the why, I have tried to cover some of that in this post (article was originally written for English in Aotearoa which reflects on my e-fellowship findings).

http://www.teachingandelearning.com/2011/12/future-proofing-english-by-harnessing.html

Also if you would like some 'handy handouts' for getting started with Google Apps, I have made some available here:

http://www.teachingandelearning.com/2010/11/handy-handouts-facebook-groups-google.html

To me the things that really clinch it for me about using Google Docs are: sharing, collaboration and ubiquitious access. Pedagogically speaking Google Apps = a powerful teaching and learning toolbox, particularly when you add in Google forms and a fabulous pre-assessment and feedback tool.

Cheers and Merry Christmas!

Claire x

• Enabling e-Learning (View all users posts) 12 Dec 2011 9:22pm ()

Just thought I'd share a post from Hamish Chalmers, that he posted in the ICTs in English mailing list, a forum he facilitates. He shares his enthusiasm for Google docs, which they use extensively at Albany Senior:

"Google docs is totally awesome! Particularly for English teachers. It’s been designed (I think) primarily for people to collaborate on documents. We use it a lot for school-wide and departmental-wide collaboration but have also found it a great way of tracking and giving feedback on student’s writing standards / folio work. Here’s the main awesomenesses of google docs divided into handy bullet points:

• You can leave feedback for specific sections of text in neato-looking boxes separate from the text itself, kinda like “track changes” in word. Students can click “resolve” or they can ask questions by replying to the comment that the teacher (or another student - shock horror!) has made. You can then control whether you get emails about how these comments are being addressed - ie: whether they're resolved or replied to.
    • Revision history for tracking authenticity - You can check exactly when a document has been edited and by who.
    • Filing - It’s easy for a whole class to share their google docs with a teacher who can them file them in a folder/collection to keep them from getting mixed up with other google docs.
    • Keeping up with feedback. After all the students' writing is in one folder/collection, any documents which have been changed since you last opened them are in bold. This makes it easy-as to figure out which pieces a teacher needs to give feedback on and/or check.
    • Markbooks - Particularly cunning teachers might also create a google doc spreadsheet to keep track of marks and put this in the same folder/collection as the class’s writing. Fancy!

We still have some teachers who prefer to keep track of students writing on paper and while I think this is total madness, I endeavour to be respectful of the wide and varied methods others use to organise their classes. The main drawback with google docs is that is doesn’t provide any fancy formatting abilities and it can be a bit confusing to start with to have two sets of menus (file, edit etc) one for your browser and another separate one for google docs.

Oh, there’s also an awesome google docs app that google have finally gotten round to making for Android. It’s much nicer than the browser interface. Very occasionally ;), I’ll take some time in particularly long, inefficient meetings to peruse a bit of student writing or other exciting school-wide documentation."

• Enabling e-Learning (View all users posts) 16 Dec 2011 11:56am ()

Does your school use Google apps for education?

If so, add your school's details to this shared doc:

>>>https://docs.google.com/a/core-ed.ac.nz/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AlSdA-vKLONwdE0xRV9NNlBGZGpHd1RGWUpSUjFGRkE#gid=1

This information would help schools considering the move understand the benefits (in case they had only thought of free email), identify others they can ask and work together on getting even more value from this service. It would be helpful to vendors and maybe the Ministry in thinking about what to integrate with / provide support for. Thanks to Paul Seiler for kicking this off:-)

• Karen Spencer (View all users posts) 03 Feb 2012 4:36pm ()

Here's a link to the Google Teacher Educator community in (unsurprisingly!) Google groups: 

Their recent newsletter included learning opportunities for teachers, seminars, the annual logo design competition for students and plenty more.

You can join the group and be subscribed for updates.

• Tessa Gray (View all users posts) 16 Apr 2013 11:04am ()

Here's a blog post, How To Use Google Drive and Evernote To Create Digital Portfolios on an iPad. An excerpt reads,

While it has become apparent that empowering our students with iPads and other mobile devices unlocks tremendous potential to create, communicate, and collaborate, the still unanswered question is how do we determine that they have also gained greater understanding, reflected on their learning, and mastered content?

Can these same devices support our students as they engage in those higher order processes? Will curating all of this content into a portfolio support this quest for higher understanding and allow students to connect with their own learning?

Looks at Google Drive app as well as the Evernote app.

Join this group to contribute to discussions.

e-Learning: Technologies

e-Learning: Technologies

Where we explore how different technologies can support learning.