Search

iPad Home Use Agreements

• Public
Started by Allanah King 19 Sep 2011 11:36am () Replies (10)

Some of my team are in the situation where we are giving iPads to children for their exclusive use at home and at school as assistive devices.

I have tried to gather together other people's Acceptable Use Agreements and collate them into one document.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/11FQt3pJbv8lkvzykBXhPUdanDCRccoR7OBj2k6zQdJU/edit?hl=en_US

I would appreciate your input as to its usefulness, effectiveness and if there is anything I should have added.

Feel free to remix as it's a Google Doc- view only- just make a copy if you would like to make changes for your own situation.

Please let me know of any changes I should make.

Cheers

Allanah

Replies

• Matthew Thomas (View all users posts) 19 Sep 2011 9:31pm ()

Looks pretty comprehensive mate. But why do students need to log out of any app accounts when they are not using them if they have a pass code lock on the device? I don't, and I'm not sure I would expect my students to either unless it is a shared device.

• Diane Henderson (View all users posts) 24 Apr 2012 2:58pm ()

Thanks Allanah,

Some good points there to think about.  Managed to find some others online, so should be able to put a succinct agreement together that suits the purpose for this school.

• Lavinia Robyns (View all users posts) 26 Aug 2013 10:32am ()

I'm putting together a teacher user agreement as we are finally implementing iPads, starting with a teacher-user group.  Thanks Allanah for your Google doc link.  Do schools expect teachers to pay the insurance excess if an iPad is stolen whilst at school?

• Matthew Thomas (View all users posts) 26 Aug 2013 12:10pm ()

Hi Lavinia -

We don't expect teachers to pay the excess for stolen equipment if it is at school at the time.  However, if it is caused by teacher negligence, we may not replace the item in question.  This has happened once with a classroom iPad this year.  

Talking with our insurance companies as well, if a school owned iPad is stolen at a teachers home, the teachers contents insurance most likely won't cover the cost since it is not the teachers property.  This is something all staff need to be aware of if they enter into an agreement with the school that they will cover the cost of replacing stolen or damaged gear while it is in their care.

Cheers, Matt T

• Lavinia Robyns (View all users posts) 26 Aug 2013 1:54pm ()

Thanks Matt. It sounds like I will need to include something in the user agreement about cost of damaged/stolen equipment while it is in their care. 

• Leigh Hynes (View all users posts) 26 Aug 2013 11:04am ()

Well that depends on the school policy.  Does the school expect teachers to pay the excess on any stolen or damaged goods?  Not in my experience but I suppose it is possible.

• Julia (View all users posts) 26 Aug 2013 9:22pm ()

Insurance for school iPads at home.

I know insurance companies have got tougher recently, but for many years I've had a clause in my house and contents insurance that covers devices I bring home from school. This dates back to before TELA laptops. Possibly worth discussing it with teachers' personal insurer rather than school insurer.

• Monika Kern (View all users posts) 27 Aug 2013 2:13pm ()

Slightly different situation, but when my son got his DHB, then PHARMAC funded insulin pump, a pre-requisite was for us to have it added to our contents insurance. There was no difference in premium. Just in case this could apply to school owned devices?

• Lavinia Robyns (View all users posts) 11 Sep 2013 10:21am ()

Thanks to AllanahK for the use agreements. I adapted hers for our teacher use agreement. http://goo.gl/jndXAU We don't expect teachers to pay the excess if an item is stolen at school and I asked each teacher to check with their home insurer about excess costs for theft whilst in their care.

Join this group to contribute to discussions.