Search

Do principals really have time for a PLN?

• Public
Started by Enabling e-Learning 15 Sep 2011 10:14am () Replies (10)

..and what's the point, anyway?

I was asked this question recently, and it's a good one. School leaders are hugely busy, time-poor and also expected to model learning for themselves and with their staff. How to tackle it?

We're told it's important because....

• We need to connect to others to check and extend our own thinking
  • Technology can make this more efficient and interesting/stimulating
  • A PLN reduces isolation in thinking through belonging to communities
  • Look at the BES Leadership - Principals need to keep their own learning going, however informally

Here are a few useful links that I also shared in my response to the question: 

What might be the main reasons for having a PLN if you are a busy school leader?

Replies

• Rachel Boyd (View all users posts) 01 Nov 2011 10:42pm ()

Hi all,

A while ago I created an open (public) google doc to categorise NZ based educators on Twitter. It has sections for Principals/DPs/APs etc that you might like to look at. There are lots of great leadership minds on there to learn from!

It is also open for anyone to edit, so if you are a "twit", feel free to add your details!

http://tinyurl.com/nztweets

My presentation (aimed at eLeaders) on establishing a PLN online (for newbies) may also be useful, feel free to take a look and share.

http://rachelboyd.wikispaces.com/Twitter+for+Teachers

Cheers,
    @rachelboyd

• Rachel Boyd (View all users posts) 01 Nov 2011 10:46pm ()

A question I would like to bring up (and I am speaking from a non-Principalship role here) is when do Principals actually get to access PD on areas like this - establishing a PLN?

Shockingly most of the "eLearning/ICT" based courses available to Principals through the Ministry I have seen have been "organise your files" or "how to effectively use the Internet" type workshops. That may be good for some, but if you are a principal not part of an ICT Cluster, what workshops/PD is available at more advanced levels?

Join this group to contribute to discussions.

e-Learning: Leadership

e-Learning: Leadership

Exploring leadership for change, vision, policy and strategy that integrates ICTs into learning.