Search

How are you fostering effective teacher learning?

• Public
Started by Enabling e-Learning 25 Aug 2011 10:36am () Replies (7)

To build a strong house, you need all the walls to be strong, and well built.You can work on each wall individually, and one wall may be started or finished before another, but they are always built with an eye on the whole house.

I really like the way Dunedin City Rise cluster have managed their professional development, as described in their reflective summary (thanks, Diane Mills here). She makes the point very clearly that professional learning is intertwined - and therefore, must be aligned - with a range of other dimensions across the school - leadership, infrastructure development, community engagement....

I wonder how other schools manage the 'wall building'? How do you make sure that the different dimensions develop together, to make sure professional learning is aligned with a bigger picture?

Replies

• Karen Spencer (View all users posts) 28 Mar 2012 3:02pm ()

Thought I would share this blog post from Dana Huff (of the well-known blog huffenglish.com), where she describes her experiences supporting other teachers with their learning around technology:

>> Reluctance and Technology Integration

It's quite detailed and includes feedback from the #edtech Twitter stream too; she pulls together some key themes in response to the question: “What do you do at your school to encourage teachers who are reluctant to embrace & integrate technology?”, including:

• Offer extensive professional development.
    • Demonstrate using the technology is really going to make their teaching better.
    • Model technology integration (or provide models).
    • Provide resources and choices.

Would you agree?

Join this group to contribute to discussions.