Search

Discussion topics

• Public

Blog/ Site Links anyone?

Started by Brent 1975 22 Aug 2016 7:01pm () Replies (1) Last reply by Brent 1975
    Kia ora, This year I'm at Okaihau College (as the sole music teacher) and as part of our PD appraisal process we all keep blogs - both as evidence of work and for reflection etc. Here's...
    • Public

Music Theory curriculum

Started by Jo 21 Jul 2016 1:05pm () Replies (1) Last reply by Jo
    Hi MusEddy people. It doesn't look like there is loads of activity on this forum, but I'm very keen to get other peoples ideas!! I'm teaching at a school where the kids all get an hour (or so) of music each week from the time they're...
    • Public

Starting the new year!

Started by Brent 1975 29 Jan 2016 2:00pm () Replies (1) Last reply by Brent 1975
    Kia ora, What are some of your great 'let's start the year off' activity ideas? I'm starting at a new school this term and will have core classes (years 7 & 8) + option groups (years 9,10,12) I like to do team building,...
    • Public

Level 2 NCEA - Aspect of NZ Music

Started by Brent 1975 17 Jun 2015 7:49pm () Replies (1) Last reply by Brent 1975
    Q: If a student submits a music essay (at Level 2) with terrible grammar and punctuation etc, would you still consider it for assessment? To be honest, the content is questionable anyway, but it may be a Low Achieved (at best). I'm just...
    • Public

Level 3 Solo

Started by Brent 1975 12 May 2015 12:16pm () Replies (4) Last reply by Paasca
    Kia ora, Can you guys suggest some popular Level 3 solo songs for vocalists that your students sing please. Popular songs (even old ones) would be handy to know please!
    • Public

Music Composing applications on PCs

Started by Annemarie Hyde 31 Jul 2014 1:08pm () Replies (5) Last reply by Brent 1975
    Hi folks - hoping someone can help. Our music teacher wanted to load garageband on our PCs for a class and of course, he can't as it's for ios or Macs. What is the PC alternative? 
    • Public

SOND Unit Standards

Started by Brent 1975 05 Jun 2014 10:32am () Replies (1) Last reply by Brent 1975
    Is anyone else doing the SOND Performance Technology unit standards in NCEA Music? I did SOND 1 last year with my Level 1 class (setup and operate the P.A) and planning on doing recording and mixing for SOND 2 this year for level 2
    • Public

NCEA Level 2 - Group

Started by Brent 1975 13 Feb 2014 9:35am () Replies (4) Last reply by Aiono Manu Faaea-Semeatu
    Kia ora everyone, Hope you are all well and enjoying the school year so far. What are some common level 2 group songs that meet the complexity criteria ? Brent
    • Public

CONFIDENCE BOOSTING

Started by Brent 1975 16 Oct 2013 8:45am () Replies (5) Last reply by Aiono Manu Faaea-Semeatu
    many of my students (often the most talented ones) lack confidence in performing.  I have decided to try some confidence building excersises and if they work well I'm going to build them into my regular teaching. Today we'll try some improv...
    • Public

HIP HOP

Started by Brent 1975 18 Sep 2013 9:55am () Replies (3) Last reply by Brent 1975
    I just did a musical writing activity with my year 9 class whereby they listen to a range of music and draw pics that they associate with each piece - one of the songs was a funky hip hop tune by Lyrics Born - what were the majority of pics of?...
    • Public

Cool musical writing activity and worksheet

Started by Brent 1975 11 Sep 2013 2:15pm () Replies (1) Last reply by Brent 1975
    My year 9 and 10 class enjoyed this activity, as did I! It blends listening, writing and interpretation skills well. In short: play the students 4 different pieces of music  While the music plays they draw an image for each piece in the 4...
    • Public

Unit Standard 26687 SOND 1

Started by Brent 1975 21 Aug 2013 2:38pm () Replies (1) Last reply by Brent 1975
    Is anyone teaching Sond 1 this year? I'm at the point of assessment and need people willing and able to moderate/verify for me! I'm happy to reciprocate  http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLV2iZAkMNSio_FHFDWymte7sJYSjEYHxZ
    • Public

Phone number melodies

Started by Brent 1975 26 Mar 2013 9:55am () Replies (2) Last reply by Aiono Manu Faaea-Semeatu
    I'm about to try out the phone number melodies activity with my students. The students learn the C scale on piano and/or xylophone and assign a number to each note eg. 1=c, 2=d, 3=e ... (o=the top and bottom c, 9=B below bottom C)  Students...
    • Public

Level 1 Group and Solo song ideas

Started by Brent 1975 05 Mar 2013 10:48am () Replies (3) Last reply by Aiono Manu Faaea-Semeatu
    Feel free to add song titles and related resources for group and solo Level 1
    • Public

Percussion Circle - Works a treat!

Started by Brent 1975 26 Mar 2013 9:51am () Replies (1) Last reply by Brent 1975
    The activity of getting the kids in a circle with different percussion instruments has worked a treat at year 9, 10 and with seniors. The skills of listening, adapting to instruction (eg, start/stop, loud/soft) and trying to lock in with eachother...
    • Public

Maori and Pasifika music students

Started by Aiono Manu Faaea-Semeatu 19 Feb 2013 11:07am () Replies (2) Last reply by Brent 1975
    How are Maori and Pasifika music students being catered for in your teaching programmes? What strengths do they have and exhibit in Music that can be used to facilitate success in their other academic subjects? As a former HOD Performing Arts and...