Search

Discussion topics

• Public

Analysing Song Lyrics

Started by Jody Garland 20 Jul 2015 12:40pm () Replies (1) Last reply by Jody Garland
    I use Actively Learn with my class and you are able to add music from Spotify to go with the writing. I am using this at the moment to analyse song lyrics, interpreting metaphors and exploring vocabulary. However, students must have a Spotify...
    • Public

Using ipads in year 3/4 classrooms

Started by Sam Hamilton 09 Jun 2015 3:51pm () Replies (2) Last reply by Vish
    Kia Ora, I'm from Matata Public School and I'm visiting Auckland on Friday 19th June.  I would like to visit a year 3/4 classroom to view some good practice of reading/writing/blended elearning.  If anyone is able to help it...
    • Public

Voice over you tube video clips.

Started by Kate Crawford 28 May 2015 7:43am () Replies (4) Last reply by Tash Jacobs
    Kia Ora I am wanting to use video clips from you tube and have students use their voice over the clips.  We use ipads and have individual Chromebooks for the students. Any ideas please. Thanks Kate
    • Public

Dyslexia awareness

Started by Anne Kenneally  06 Apr 2015 1:01pm () Replies (1) Last reply by Anne Kenneally 
    What support is available to us? Getting it right in the classroom and in the courts: Dyslexia Advocacy week March 16-22 2015 Dyslexia and learning guide on the Inclusive Education website High school setting video: Having...
    • Public

Picture Books

Started by Anne Kenneally  06 Apr 2015 12:45pm () Replies (1) Last reply by Anne Kenneally 
    What picture books are you reading? I came across this I bookmarked earlier in the year... #365PICTUREBOOKS A picture book a day for 2015 And I found this fabulous blogpost by Bridget A Picture Book a Day..... relating to...
    • Public

Reading Wedges

Started by Sarah Johnston 13 Mar 2015 11:21am () Replies (2) Last reply by Kaela
    We have some reading wedges that we use to track children's progress in reading that came from literacy advisors. When opening these on Google Drive in sheets the graphs do not display properly. Just wondering if anyone has these graphs in...
    • Public

Web based apps to raise engagement for a RANGE of learners.

Started by Thomas Bigge 23 Mar 2015 2:41pm () Replies (16) Last reply by Anne Kenneally 
    This is the skeleton of my inquiry question: How can I improve the engagement of my target students in order to lift their (literacy achievement) by using (web based app here) for writing? I am having trouble finding a web based app that...
    • Public

Equity in e-learning

Started by Keir Whipp 03 Feb 2015 5:37pm () Replies (1) Last reply by Keir Whipp
    Kia ora I will be conducting a research this year in a range of Secondary schools in South Auckland to investigate issues of equity in e-learning as part of a Masters in Educational Leadership and Management.  Equity will include student...
    • Public

Are you using Minecraft to motivate writing?

Started by Carol Kendall 01 Apr 2014 2:10pm () Replies (13) Last reply by Kelli Fay-Wolfe
    Is anyone actively using Minecraft to motivate writing, particularly with reluctant writers? How are you using Minecraft for this? Is Minecraft used before, or after the writing, or does the writing occur within the game? How do you manage this, and...
    • Public

Comprehension Apps

Started by Deeann Daniels 16 Sep 2014 2:21pm () Replies (4) Last reply by Louise Tredinnick
    Can anyone recommend some great apps for developing comprehension skills especially inference?
    • Public

Learning letter sounds

Started by Christine Lepper 17 Sep 2014 12:35pm () Replies (3) Last reply by Charlotte Verity
    What activities are other teachers doing inthe classroom integrating an IT approach for5 yearolds.
    • Public

Missing writing

Started by Kay McCallum 17 Jul 2014 11:18am () Replies (2) Last reply by Kay McCallum
      https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5ogenE3OvSWUWZOLWNITzg0REU/preview I am hoping it wasnt me! Had saved this on my ipad, so sent the addy to myself and could get the information
    • Public

Favourite eBook Resources

Started by Jill Hammonds 08 Jul 2014 10:27am () Replies (7) Last reply by Jill Hammonds
    "Read eBooks" in the Reading section of this community has begun the process of sharing some good eBook resources.  However, those of you in the classroom often have a great collection of favourites that we would like to bring into a common...
    • Public

Protocols around ebooks

Started by Annemarie Hyde 26 Jun 2014 11:03am () Replies (9) Last reply by Annemarie Hyde
    Our librarian came to my door this morning.  We haven't got to supplying ebooks there but we are certainly in discussion. In the meantime, individual teachers are downloading and using ebooks as class texts or for their class' reading. We...
    • Public

School Journal & School Journal Story Library are available in digital form as well as in print.

Started by Catriona Pene 26 Jun 2014 11:14am () Replies (1) Last reply by Catriona Pene
    You can access them here   How will this change how you use the School Journals and Story Library in your classroom?  Are you already using these digital versions?  Or planning to use them in your programmes next...
    • Public

Marking spelling against easttle writing rubric when using chromebooks and spell check

Started by justin hickey 18 Jun 2014 4:26pm () Replies (4) Last reply by Mary Woods
    HI everybody. Do you have any knowledge or advice on how to mark writing samples for year 7/8 students who do their writing on chromebooks and use spell check. My students will be sitting their writing tests next week using chromebooks and I have...
  • Kid-speak Writing Progressions

Started by Mary-Anne Murphy 19 May 2014 1:59am () Replies (9) Last reply by Mary-Anne Murphy
    Hello All This is a call for interested people to be part of Stage 2 of kid-speaking the Literacy progressions - namely the writing progressions. Place your name and info in this doc if you would like to help-out. If you have already worked...
    • Public

Writing exemplars

Started by Tash Jacobs 09 Jun 2014 3:09pm () Replies (6) Last reply by Candy Hart
    I am currently trying to gather a range of exemplars of writing at each level (of the LLP) and text type to use with students when co-constructing criteria of what writing looks like at each level.  Where do you get your exemplars...
    • Public

Examples of progressions in use

Started by Mary-Anne Murphy 09 Jun 2014 3:56pm () Replies (1) Last reply by Mary-Anne Murphy
    Kia ora Koutou A cluster of schools in the Waikato are looking at different ways of using the maths and literacy progressions and need your help please. We are wanting photos or digital files of how you and your students use the progressions in...
    • Public

Writing tools for all genres of writing

Started by ian suckling 03 Jun 2014 4:09pm () Replies (5) Last reply by Jill Hammonds
    Hi all,  on behalf of a teacher at an intermediate school: Are their any digital technologies that have been particularly effective for helping students develop skills in genres like persuasive writing etc? There's lots for creative writing,...