Search

Discussion topics

• Public

Google admits data mining student emails in its free education apps

Started by Eric Martini 16 Feb 2014 11:19pm () Replies (1) Last reply by Eric Martini
    interseting article on how Google data mines GAFE even when ad serving option turned off.... http://safegov.org/2014/1/31/google-admits-data-mining-student-emails-in-its-free-education-apps
    • Public

Problems with Gmail

Started by Sam Hamilton 13 Feb 2014 3:06pm () Replies (3) Last reply by Eric Martini
    Hi all,   We have recently joined up with the teacher dashboard (hapara) and we're currentlu introducin it all to the students.  We're having issues with our emails.  We're using the domain @matata.school.nz but we're still using...
    • Public

Updating Cyber Safety agreement

Started by agilchrist 11 Feb 2014 6:23pm () Replies (2) Last reply by Peter Corlett
    We are at the start of our GAFE journey and the students are soon to have their own Gmail accounts.  Due to this change we need to update our cyber safety agreement with the students.  I would really appreciate any help pointing me in the...
    • Public

Adding Comments, Voice message, resources to Gogle Docs

Started by Eric Martini 10 Feb 2014 12:08pm () Replies (2) Last reply by Monika Kern
    The chrome app formerly Voice Comments, has been updtaed to Kaizena. Easily add text comments, voice message and links to resources, to highlighted text within a google doc. the comments are inserted into the "Comments" feature of google docs. Add...
    • Public

Google Drive on Windows Surface

Started by Claire Turton 09 Feb 2014 8:36pm () Replies (4) Last reply by Mark Callagher
    We are allowing students the opportunity to BYOD this year at Maunu School. Several students have bought a Windows Surface. We are working mainly in a Google Apps for Education environment. I do not have a huge amount of experience with the Windows...
    • Public

how to verify domain

Started by Sam Hamilton 03 Feb 2014 10:13pm () Replies (5) Last reply by Sam Hamilton
    I'm trying to create our account for GAFE using the domain name matata.school.nz and i'm having a lot of trouble verifying the domain so we can begin using google apps/drive, gmail etc. and also join up to hapara...  What am i missing?...
    • Public

How to make a goggle presentation private in a gmail account that has multiple people on one...

Started by Kararaina Luke 17 Jan 2014 3:10pm () Replies (5) Last reply by Peter Corlett
    Hi, I have created a gmail account for a large group of people - giving all the log in @ gmail.com and all using 1 password to access. In this g mail account there is a presentation that is holding links, photos, PDFS,  videos etc for all to...
    • Public

PDF in google drive then linking to a goggle presentation

Started by Kararaina Luke 14 Jan 2014 6:21pm () Replies (10) Last reply by Kararaina Luke
    Hi all,  I am creating a google presentation  for my team and have a large PDF for reference - reading...43MB... google drive will not allow this. Can anyone please suggest another way that I could embed - link this PDF doc to my...
    • Public

Google Calendar

Started by Rob Gunn 12 Jan 2014 1:34pm () Replies (2) Last reply by Shona Poppe
    Does anyone know how to share a calendar with a sub organisation only? We are setting up our calendar app and creating a organsiational calendar to share with staff. The only options I can find are groups (which aren't set up), whole organisation...
    • Public

Doctopus

Started by Michelle Robison 07 Jan 2014 11:17am () Replies (1) Last reply by Michelle Robison
    Doctopus has been discussed before in the VLN but I thought I'd pop it in here.  Doctopus is a Google Apps Script that can be used to manage and share documents with students or groups.This version of the script adds in an assessment...
  • Word docs with tables

Started by Hilary Rodley 03 Dec 2013 3:54pm () Replies (5) Last reply by Rob Clarke
    I know this has probably been asked before and I suspect the answer is no.... But is there any way to convert word docs with tables nicely into google docs? We have myriads of them and now we're going all googly.
  • End of Year with Students moving on

Started by Michelle Robison 05 Dec 2013 3:36pm () Replies (7) Last reply by Mark Callagher
    A school has asked me how she can manage the students accounts who are moving onto another school. This raises an number of questions for me to assist other schools. If a school has GAFE, and hapara, is there a simple way to transfer...
    • Public

Managing admin documents

Started by RosL 05 Dec 2013 5:44pm () Replies (3) Last reply by Tim Gander
    Hi We are setting up Google Apps for Education at our secondary school and I would like to use Google Drive to share some of our admin documents across a large number of people.  I would prefer for these not to be owned by a specific person...
    • Public

Google Drive issue

Started by Jennie L 03 Dec 2013 3:20pm () Replies (3) Last reply by Dave Winter
    One of the teachers at school has 'lost' all of the documents in her personal google drive - when she goes on to drive all the folders she imported in are there but they are all empty. Can anyone help with this? We have tried different browsers and...
    • Public

Remote Control in chrome

Started by Sam Hamilton 04 Dec 2013 8:14pm () Replies (4) Last reply by sansam
    Hi all, Our school is looking at using GAFE next year and i have been looking in to it.  One thing that was interesting was the remote control function.  Being able to give all kids a url. Anyways i watched the video and it was focusing...
    • Public

Picassa issue

Started by Susan Feron 28 Nov 2013 4:21pm () Replies (7) Last reply by Susan Feron
    I asked my class to make slideshows and put them in their blogs today.  Turns out picassa has changed.  It now requires you to be a google + member in order for you to do anything with picassa.  So...in the middle of report writing I...
    • Public

Google presentation issue

Started by Lavinia Robyns 27 Nov 2013 1:53pm () Replies (11) Last reply by Jon Keelty
    I set up a Google presentation for a group of students to use and shared it with them so that they could use it without signing in.  It didn't allow them to insert an image - is this the case with all Google apps, that it doesn't let you add an...
    • Public

Establishing GAFE when staff have Google accounts already using school email address

Started by Sam Hocking 20 Nov 2013 7:37pm () Replies (4) Last reply by Hilary Rodley
    I am currently looking at establishing GAFE in our school.  All staff have google accounts of their own linked to their school email accounts.  When setting up the admin side of GAFE I came across a conflict with the email account I want...
    • Public

GAFE Backups

Started by Helen Prescott 23 Nov 2013 11:21pm () Replies (1) Last reply by Helen Prescott
    I understand you can have the Google Drive app on your laptops which acts as a form of backup for your Google Drive, however I have been advised that if you do work offline, it is not always reliable and it is possible to lose work.  I just...
    • Public

Where to start

Started by Tanya Tanner 10 Oct 2013 12:13pm () Replies (15) Last reply by Michelle Robison
    Hi, I have heard lots about using google apps in the classroom, I am keen to give it a go but would like some starter tip please.