Search

Discussion topics

• Public

Chromebook vs Ipads

Started by Kate Crawford 02 Dec 2014 1:15pm () Replies (37) Last reply by Chris Meehan
    Kia Ora Koutou We are in the process of purchasing new devices for our Year 7/8 classes for 2015. I am wanting to know what peoples views/experiences are with using either Chromebooks or ipads? What are the advantages/disadvantages of using...
  • Google Docs for Teacher Appraisal/Registered Teacher Criteria - Inquiry

Started by Nix 19 Jan 2015 9:47pm () Replies (27) Last reply by Corrina Bailey
    Hi All, Just wondering if anyone out there is using google docs as a form of teacher appraisal to meet the registered teacher criteria.  If anyone is willing to share the way that they or their school use it that would be greatly...
    • Public

Daily Notices

Started by Kirsty 03 Sep 2014 9:57pm () Replies (26) Last reply by Mark Callagher
    Hi all,  I am looking into Google Apps for Education for my school and was wondering if there is a way to use it for daily notices?  Staff I know at other schools using google are still accessing their daily notices via the intranet....
    • Public

Setting up a school with Google Apps - first steps!

Started by Melissa Grant 14 Jun 2013 1:47pm () Replies (23) Last reply by KathC
    Hi Google App users! I'm about to set a school up and have heard there are a few teething problems if you don't work through the set up process correctly.  My one question at this stage is:  When I send the domain name over to Google for...
  • Accessing google drive difficulties

Started by Shelley Muston 25 Mar 2015 1:14pm () Replies (21) Last reply by Scott Noakes
    Hi   Hoping someone can help me. Does anyone else have difficulty accessing google drive? Most of the teachers here often get "Google drive is unreachable' when trying to access it and sometimes the only way you can get in is by...
    • Public

Ideas for using GAFE in literacy

Started by Kevin Silcock 06 May 2014 3:40pm () Replies (21) Last reply by Simon Ashby
    Hi everyone We are just new to GAFE and I am wanting some ideas on how we can use GAFE in our literacy programme with our Year 5 & 6 students. Any ideas would be welcome.
    • Public

Can a school have a centralised school owned Google Drive?

Started by Carmen Marshall 13 Aug 2015 10:42am () Replies (19) Last reply by Rob Gunn
    Hi there As a school we have many docs which we would like to have saved in a school owned Google Drive, not in a staff members drive.  As most schools we have teachers/admin staff coming and going and getting copies or changing the...
    • Public

You Tube restrictions

Started by Lynne Crowe 22 Sep 2015 7:36am () Replies (19) Last reply by Lynne Crowe
    I hope someone can help with this. Our You Tube settings for staff are set as unrestricted, but often we cannot watch videos as we get the message about 'safe mode'. This only happens in Chrome. When we watch the same video in Explorer or...
    • Public

Punctuation Grammar Check for Docs

Started by Lynne Crowe 11 Aug 2014 12:29pm () Replies (18) Last reply by Snipper
    Does anyone know of an extension or addon which will check for punctuation, grammar errors within docs? I have searched and found some like Grammarly but they don't seem to work within docs. I don't want to have to send students to Word just to...
    • Public

Password Recovery for students

Started by Steve Trotter 05 Jun 2014 5:27pm () Replies (16) Last reply by Peter Corlett
    Hi, As the e-Learning coordinator at my school I often receive emails from parents that their child has forgotten their Google password. We have sent home 'paper' with passwords on them, but I still receive 1-2 emails a week (not to mention the...
    • Public

Google Apps - how do we embed their use in classroom programmes?

Started by Ross Alexander 04 Feb 2013 9:09am () Replies (16) Last reply by Steven Wills
    The start of a new school year and I’ve just set up the year 4 to 6 classes at two local schools with student Google accounts. I’ve been using Google Apps and the Teacher Dashboard for over a year now, and continue to be excited by the...
    • Public

Presenting student work on big screen

Started by Lynne Crowe 16 Sep 2015 11:17am () Replies (16) Last reply by Lynne Crowe
    We are looking at future thinking ideas for students to share their google presentations or videos with the class. At present we have a data projector connected to a teacher laptop and know that we can do it this way, but we want to give students...
    • Public

Goggle Docs comments

Started by Kate Crawford 11 Mar 2015 8:36pm () Replies (15) Last reply by Sam Hamilton
    Kia Ora Just wanting to know if you are able to print the comments that you have made when students are writing using the google docs?  Thanks  Kate
    • Public

Student Blogs through GAFE

Started by merryl 27 Nov 2014 5:30pm () Replies (15) Last reply by Hamish McLean
    Hi all What do you all do with student blogs when children are leaving your school. We are thinking we can ask parents to provide a google account and give them ownership? Your thoughts? Thanks Merryl
    • Public

Where to start

Started by Tanya Tanner 10 Oct 2013 12:13pm () Replies (15) Last reply by Michelle Robison
    Hi, I have heard lots about using google apps in the classroom, I am keen to give it a go but would like some starter tip please. 
    • Public

How to down load you tube clips

Started by Kate Crawford 05 Jun 2015 1:36pm () Replies (14) Last reply by Ruth Soper
    Kia Ora I am wanting to use video clips from you tube and have students use their voice over the clips.  We use ipads and have individual Chromebooks for the students. Any ideas please. Thanks Kate
    • Public

Blogs - public vs private

Started by agilchrist 04 Jun 2014 10:02am () Replies (13) Last reply by Enchante
    Kia Ora, We have started our GAFE journey this year and we have a few classes using blogs.  Amongst the staff there has been much discussion regarding privete blogs with invited readers and public blogs.  It would be great to hear what...
    • Public

Managing Shared Google Sites

Started by Johan Schnetler 21 Mar 2014 9:35pm () Replies (13) Last reply by Johan Schnetler
    We are considering using Google Sites as our ePortfolios. Can anyone suggest a way that a teacher can keep track of all the website shared with him/her (would be nice if I could get it in my "Shared with me" section in Google drive)  Thanks
    • Public

Gmail policy and procedures for students

Started by Jane 17 Jul 2015 3:22pm () Replies (12) Last reply by Jane
    Hi All We are looking to set our Year 7/8 student's up with Gmail accounts so they can utilise GAFE. Just wondering if anyone can share how they went about getting parent consent or if you have any standard parental request letters or...
  • Using Google Apps with Younger Students

Started by Allanah King 15 Oct 2014 11:23am () Replies (12) Last reply by Tracey Burgess
    A teacher has asked me how young do I advise children can be to have their own Google Apps Account at school, asking particularly about Year 2/3 learners? I will post my suggestions and thoughts but wondered what others think as my kids are older???